Belief Change To Past Tense

Forums Questions on PSTEC Packages Belief Blasters Belief Change To Past Tense

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Scott Lambert
    PSTEC User

I want to change the belief “Something Bad Is Going To Happen”

There is an underlying impending doom that happens with almost every situation I encounter.

If I say “something bad has happened” it doesn't really seem to feel right yet.

Any ideas?

Scott Lambert
      PSTEC User

Grammar Lesson (for me)

Would is a past-tense form of will. If you are writing about past events, you can use it to indicate something that was in the future at that point in time, but is not necessarily in the future right now. In other words, you use would to preserve the future aspect when talking about the past.

So my new phrase is: “Something Bad Would Happen”

I think this is close enough to give it a try

Brian Tucker
        PSTEC User

The worst always happened to me.

This is another example and a very common belief. I have left it in past tense for you. The original is “the worst always happens to me”

Paul McCabe
          PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi Scott,

Good suggestion from Brian and good work on capturing the essence of your experience.

Another variation of this belief (more of a negative expectation) could be “things don't turn out well for me.”

The past tense would then translate to “things didn't work out well for me” or “things haven't worked out well for me.”

Of course, to counter this (admittedly not a prerequisite of the Belief Blasters) you could then consider the counterexample “Some situations didn't work out well for me, but not all situations.” Also, think of times where you expected bad things to happen, but they didn't happen – this would be a case of LIFE itself countering the belief/negative expectation.

This is not essential, but you may well find it a very beneficial exercise.

You could find some underlying and accompanying beliefs by asking “what would I have had to believe about myself, life and other people to believe (the wording of the belief)?”

You could also “chunk down” further on the belief by getting really clear on what your worst-case scenario is.

Paul

Paul McCabe – PSTEC Master Practitioner

http://www.lifestyleforchange.com

Please contact me anytime if you want any assistance in utilising PSTEC to help you live a life of tremendous freedom & possibility.

Recreate yourself with PSTEC.

Skype, Zoom, in-person & phone sessions available…

Sindee Lee Gillespie
            PSTEC User

Am curious about the use of the word “haven't” as it feels to me very present tense so I'd like your input…

I haven't been doing a very good job at _____ as mentioned feels like I'm owning that statement in the “now”. Maybe this is an individual thing?

I'm considering using instead “I didn't do a very good job of _____” and or “I was doing a bad job of _____”

I own my own business and have some “stuff” I'd really like to shift around my beliefs at how I've been doing various functions within it.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you :)

Paul McCabe
              PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

HI SLG,

I appreciate what you mean, so if you perceive “haven't” to be more present-tense, use a sentence that pushes the belief into the past.

How about “I hadn't been doing a very good job at…” or “I wasn't doing a very good job at…”?

You could, as you mentioned, put it in strictly negative terms – “I did a bad job at…”

How about making that even snappier? Something like “I performed poorly at…”

I think adding your own wording is so important and, for some people, there may be more resonance with something like “I sucked at…”

Please let us know how you get on.

Paul

Paul McCabe – PSTEC Master Practitioner

http://www.lifestyleforchange.com

Please contact me anytime if you want any assistance in utilising PSTEC to help you live a life of tremendous freedom & possibility.

Recreate yourself with PSTEC.

Skype, Zoom, in-person & phone sessions available…

Brian Tucker
                PSTEC User

Paul good point. Just use your own words usually whatever comes to mind that has a negative emotional charge.

I say if you've thought it, felt it or said it, clear it!

Sindee Lee Gillespie
                  PSTEC User

Paul and Brian – brilliant advice and thank YOU!!!

SLG

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.