Still not clear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bhabani Yetirajam
    PSTEC User

I guess I am one of those few who still doesn't get the instruction completely. My apologies. And here are my questions:

(1) I hear a click and some beats. Are we supposed to tap only at the click or tap along with the beat as well?

(2) Then there is one sound where we are supposed to tap with both hands(in click track 1). And this sound lasts for a while. Are we supposed to tap once and wait for the sound to be over?

(3) Many a times I am upset or feel grief or loss but can't necessarily connect it to a memory/event. For example, woke up in the morning with a sense of grief or some time during the day feel a sense of powerlessness or inadequacy. Is it necessary to find the memory/event associated with that feeling? I find that hard. Though at that point anything I think about in past, present or future, that feeling attaches to that. My question is can is be used just with the feeling or do you have to attach it to a memory/event and pay attention to both the memory/event and the feeling?

Jeff Harding
      PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi Gentle P,

No apology necessary here…

Well, first of all it depends which Click Track you are using because you will notice that each Click Track has a little different instructions in terms of which hand respond to which click or tone.

• For each click and tone, you are TAPPING your fingers.
        • It does not matter where you tap your fingers just that the fingers are tapping and moving.  Most people are sitting and, if comfortable, rest their hands on their thighs and just tap the thighs, but, again, where you tap does not matter.If you feel that tapping a certain point will help, please do.
        • There are two click beat tracks and a tone track in every audio, but the tapping varies depending upon the particular audio file.
        • [/list]Let’s take the Click Track 01 (file name “PSTecFile01”) as an example…

• There is the first, faster click beat track and Tim says tap with the fingers of the right hand along with the rhythm of the clicking.
        • There is a second, slower click beat track and Tim says tap along with the fingers of the left hand along with the rhythm of the clicking.
        • There is a tone and when you hear that, you tap with BOTH hands as rapidly as you can… you continue tapping as long as the tone is playing each time you hear it.
        • [/list]Again, when it comes to tapping with your individual hands and the speed of the tapping, they correspond the same.  In other words, when you tap with either hand singly, you tap in rhythm or in time with the clicks and tones.When you are tapping with both hands, tap them rapidly together; as fast as you can.

• Remember, just do the best you can in terms of the tapping… if you miss, don't worry, just do the best you can.
        • Be sure you are focusing as he says in the audio on the feelings and the problem memory.  Don't worry about understanding what he is saying; just focus ontrying to hand on to the feeling and the memory.
        • [/list]Listen to the PSTEC Instructions audio again to become more familiar with the process and also review the FAQ's as they may give you more insight on how to use PSTEC appropriately and may also give you more confidence in using them… http://pstec.org/faq.php

Does that cover your Questions #1 and #2?

No memories…

You can focus merely on the feeling if you wish, yes, but realize that the process MIGHT provide a little different experience… it may be a bit more difficult in terms of having reactions physically that are more intense.Why is this?

Basically, the mind is always pairing things up with emotions/feelings… they are either memories or imagined events.  In other words, you do not have the feelings for no reason… there is always a reason and that reason is comprised of your many experiences and perceptions.

So, yes, again, you can just focus on the feeling… BUT…

Notice that you said, “Though at that point anything I think about in past, present or future, that feeling attaches to that.” … do you see the information your mind is presenting to you?

Your subconscious is telling you the memories and imagined events that are either at the cause or contributing to those emotions.

So, there is the answer for you…Take one of those images/thoughts/past memories/future imagined events and pair one of them up with that emotion/feeling.

You see?

If you have several coming to you, just pick the one that is most bothersome… if you have several that are very similar, then find the common aspect of those memories and focus on that along with the emotion/feeling and run the CT.

For example, suppose you were bullied by a group of children in the third grade, but there was one person, Healthcliff (yes, I know, difficult to imagine a bully named Heathcliff  ;D ), that was the “ring leader” and did, in your mind, most of the bullying.

So, focus just on Healthcliff's face or the expression that was most memorable while trying as hard as you can to feel the emotion… then run the CT.The answers are all there within… slow down and listen.

Aloha!

Jeff

If you continue having difficulty, check the PSTEC register for a practitioner that maybe able to help you individually and guide you through the process…http://www.pstecregister.org.uk/

Bhabani Yetirajam
        PSTEC User

Thanks for the answer Jeff. Still some questions:

(1) Quoting from your example of  Click Track 01 (file name “PSTecFile01”)
          “There is the first, faster click beat track and Tim says tap with the fingers of the right hand along with the rhythm of the clicking.”

So there is this click and series of 8beats that go with it. If I understand correctly, we are tapping with click and no taps for the 8beats, right?

(2) About the associations of memory with feelings: the reason I say I am confused about the association is, the same memory and the same event at some other day/time feels pleasurable if I am in positive mood. But when I am feeling bad the same thing that felt positive now feels negative. So how can we say the memory/event caused the feeling? It seems reversed in my case.

Jeff Harding

You're always welcome.

1. On tapping with the clicks, in this example with the clicks for the right hand, the rhythm is a very fast rhythm and, in reality, they are all clicks, so tap along with all the clicks that you hear.

Note:  Don't worry too much about “doing it right”… in other words, don't think so much.  You will not get it perfect in terms of the tapping.  If you are, it probably is not working for you.

2. The same experienced event gives you both a pleasant AND a not-pleasant feeling?  Give me an example.

By the way, I did not ONLY say that the memories would be a cause.  What I said was that they could either be at the cause or contributing to those emotions.

3. [/list]In reality, yes, the experiences cause the emotions but also, as that model of reality for that specific perception is set up in your mind, then the emotions can also contribute to causing you to remember the memories as well and it becomes a cycle.  But, initially, there is a cause of the perception in your mind that influences OR can contribute to the emotions and feelings that come up.

Again, give me your example.

One more note… one of the greatest contributions that a practitioner brings is in sorting out and helping you manage the feelings, thoughts and beliefs that arise, then targeting PSTEC properly.

So, you might consider using someone from the PSTEC Registry to help you along with that.

Aloha!

Jeff

Bhabani Yetirajam
            PSTEC User

ok, as an example. when I was looking for a job couple of months ago, I took the interviewing as an experience to meet with different companies and travel to different places as the expenses were paid for. And I wasn't really clear on what I wanted to do i.w. what kind of role or what kind of company etc. Now some days when I am feeling positive I recount the experience of traveling and interviewing and how I didn't want to compromise in accepting something and feel really good. Some other day, I wouldn't really know what caused me to be suddenly feel bad, I would see the same thing as a bad experience thinking how much time and effort is wasted or that I should have accepted something etc. So see, the initial reason for feeling bad wasn't that but then when I recounted the same experience I just turned it into negative. And then I would remember something else in the past and how I was a failure etc. It doesn't stay on one topic. I may drift into relationship issue, or someone said something or did something (which didn't bother me when it happened).

Now let's say, I am feeling bad right now and don't know why but will pickup whatever memory comes now and turns into the negative and will do the PSTEC on the memory and the current feeling. In the midway I see, the feeling reduced a little bit and that memory doesn't match that feeling. And the mind drifts away to a different memory that better matched with the current level of feeling. So the question is then, if we have to have the memory alongwith the feeling while doing the click track, would you keep hlding that old memory even though it doesn't match the current level of the feeling or would you let it drift to different memory. And sometime it just moved from one event to another.

Jeff Harding

Ok, great example…

Now, although you “think” you are looking at the same event and having two different feelings about it; the reality is that there are two different perceptions covering two different aspects of “one event” (and I use that phrase “one event” loosely)  ;) .

The first aspect or perception is one of adventure… as you said, “… I took the interviewing as an experience to meet with different companies and travel to different places as the expenses were paid for…”; this was a time when looked at from the mind model of seeing adventure… doing something new… a paid to do it to boot!!… well, that can involve some joy and excitement, right?

The experience you had, definitely has a good aspect to it… a positive resource in your mind… something you do not want to necessarily clear up because it can be a resource to help build a mind model you desire.  (little side note… on the other hand you do not want to become attached to it either because that can cause issues that may stagnate your growth as well… but, if it involves J.E.E.P.,  then I say, “Don't bother with clearing it up.”)

Then there was the other side of the coin…

As you said, “I would see the same thing as a bad experience thinking how much time and effort is wasted or that I should have accepted something etc.”

But, is it Truly “the same thing?”

Or, just another perspective… another angle … you are seeing it from another vantage point, right?

Take for example a Christmas tree, either one you had or one you have seen at someone's home … Let's say it is put in a corner and lights and ornaments are in short supply.  What can you do?  You put them around the front 2/3 to 3/4 of the tree and the back is neglected, so to speak.

Now, if you look from the front, it looks beeeeeeeeeautiful… but if you going around back… yikes!

Same tree, just a different vantage point and a totally different look… different opinion… different experience, right?

Does anyone else notice the empty back?  Probably not because they don't go inspecting your tree… and if they do; make note to remove them from your holiday invitation list for next year. :P

So, take the unpleasant feeling that comes up regarding that event… when you feel bad about it, what do you see?  What is most prominent and intense about it?  Anyone else involved that “made” you feel bad about it?  Or, what were you doing that you feel bad about?  Where were you or where do you picture yourself when you feel bad about it?  In other words, ask yourself, “Why do I feel bad about that experience?”  Take that answer and ask the “why” questions again.

Now, as you said, “… then I would remember something else in the past and how I was a failure etc.”

As you recall these other memories and reminders, jot them down and keep asking yourself, “What does that feeling and memory remind me of… when was another earlier time when I felt that familiar feeling… when was the first time I remember feeling that way?

You may end up with 3… 5… even 10 or more memories… again… jot them all down.  Keep your work on paper, not floating about in your mind.

Once you have exhausted the subconscious clues coming through… the memories, feelings, etc.; then begin using the CT on all those memories and/or test them once you feel clear of the issue.

I love starting with the memory that is most intense and what I “feel” is one of the causes… usually memories from earlier in life.

Follow the breadcrumbs and keep asking, “When was another time I felt this way?”

Then, use the CT.

You may have to CT several memories and there are some memories that require several rounds of the CT to clear.

So you are absolutely right, “And the mind drifts away to a different memory that better matched with the current level of feeling. So the question is then, if we have to have the memory along with the feeling while doing the click track, would you keep hiding that old memory even though it doesn't match the current level of the feeling or would you let it drift to different memory. And sometime it just moved from one event to another.”

YES!  It might be one memory that is the root cause, BUT, usually it's more than one that we must clear away.

Make sense?

So, it appears you are right on track… the issue at hand (and most of us have or had to deal with this) is trusting yourself.  All of yourself, including your subconscious.  What you describe is the subconscious giving you the clues; you just felt unsure about following them.

I say, follow them down the rabbit hole of your mind and be done with them.

Let's suppose you find the cause of those feelings… will that change the good feelings you have about the “same event?”  Not likely… most times I have worked with people, cleared up the non-JEEP feelings about something and the JEEP perspective comes shining through.

You see?

So, once the back of the Christmas tree does not bother you anymore, you can enjoy the front, gorgeous aspect of the tree and enjoy your holiday either with family or friends or just sitting there and soaking in the ambiance at night.

Keep up the good work and keep clickin' on those thoughts and memories that keep coming to mind when you are in non-JEEP mode.

Aloha!

Jeff

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.