Strategy for a drinking problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jay12
    PSTEC User

Hi all!

This forum has been really helpful and thank you very much to the main contributors for all the great posts and answers so far.

I have tried to put together a starting plan for dealing with an alcohol problem.

Please can you let me know what you think and where it could possibly be optimized?

I have a problem with the strong impulse to drink on a daily basis.
      I had pretty bad PTSD anxiety about 7 years ago (which I am dealing with separately) and that created a habit of regularly self medicating with alcohol for quite a while back then.

While I dont do that any more, these days the drinking problem is still there but manifests in a different way that's not directly anxiety related.

Instead the powerful impulse hits me when im feeling good, being social or motivated and positive, as opposed to wanting to drink when feeling down or anxious.

The effect of this is that as soon as im feeling good, ill drink too much that evening and then I'll feel bad for days afterwards, and the cycle repeats.

The other issue that makes it extremely difficult to resist the impulse to drink is that if i give in and plan to drink later that day, that inner agreement strongly effects my mood in a positive way allowing me to feel positive, motivated and be more productive with work during that day.

To be more specific, while i dont ever drink when working or during the day, if I know during that day that ill get to drink that evening, my mood lifts and i feel super motivated and productive, because I “have something to look forward to”.

Its a really interesting effect that I wish i could produce in a more healthy way.

If I resist the impulse, my mood, motivation and mental energy plummets and so does my productivity and generally all i feel is frustration have no interest in doing anything.

Problem is I cant really drink in small quantities either (im compelled to drink until i go to bed) so this habit is not really sustainable and its effecting my health and my overall productivity from regularly being hungover.

The logic so far has always been: “Stop drinking, feel miserable and be less productive or drink regularly, be less productive, but at least you experience some pleasure in your life”.

So the plan:

1. Use Click Tracks as instructed while focusing on the feeling or experience of drinking and also at those times when the feeling the strong impulse to drink (i am already comfortable and familiar with the specifics of this step).

I have been quite resistant to click tracking the good “looking forward to it” feeling because its one of the rare good feelings I have and clearing good feelings, even if they create bad behaviors, still seems wrong somehow.

2. Use Belief Blasters

Do you recommend I start with this first as I understand it is more powerful and a good replacement for PSTEC negative?

Some ideas for beliefs (already changed to past tense):

I've been an alcoholic
      I was an alcoholic
      I enjoyed drinking alcohol
      Drinking alcohol made me happy
      I needed to drink alcohol
      Alcohol motivated me
      I never feel motivated without alcohol
      I only felt good when drinking alcohol
      I've had nothing to look forward to
      I haven't been motivated
      I didn't enjoy working

3. Use PSTEC Positive with these suggestions

I am now alcohol free
      I always enjoy being sober
      Being sober often motivates me
      I enjoy being productive everyday
      I feel more motivated everyday
      I often enjoy my work

3. Finally, I still need to get Quantum Turbo (or should i go to using this directly right away and skip PSTEC Positive for now?)

Could you assist with some ideas for QT phrases that might work well for my issues?

So thats it so far… Any changes needed or other recommendations?

Also has anybody had any experience working with a drinking problem with PSTEC. How long has it taken to see results?

Would be good to have some idea so I can stop my mind from tricking me into stopping the process after some time “because its not working”.

I also feel a ton of emotional resistance to doing this work (lack of motivation and strong desire to procrastinate) so I would like to make this process as powerful and efficient as possible to make sure I actually get through it and see some results which will hopefully motivate me to keep going :-).

Thank you very much!

Brian Tucker
      PSTEC User

Hi all!

This forum has been really helpful and thank you very much to the main contributors for all the great posts and answers so far.

I have tried to put together a starting plan for dealing with an alcohol problem.

Please can you let me know what you think and where it could possibly be optimized?

I have a problem with the strong impulse to drink on a daily basis.
        I had pretty bad PTSD anxiety about 7 years ago (which I am dealing with separately) and that created a habit of regularly self medicating with alcohol for quite a while back then.

While I dont do that any more, these days the drinking problem is still there but manifests in a different way that's not directly anxiety related.

Instead the powerful impulse hits me when im feeling good, being social or motivated and positive, as opposed to wanting to drink when feeling down or anxious.

The effect of this is that as soon as im feeling good, ill drink too much that evening and then I'll feel bad for days afterwards, and the cycle repeats.

The other issue that makes it extremely difficult to resist the impulse to drink is that if i give in and plan to drink later that day, that inner agreement strongly effects my mood in a positive way allowing me to feel positive, motivated and be more productive with work during that day.

To be more specific, while i dont ever drink when working or during the day, if I know during that day that ill get to drink that evening, my mood lifts and i feel super motivated and productive, because I “have something to look forward to”.

Its a really interesting effect that I wish i could produce in a more healthy way.

If I resist the impulse, my mood, motivation and mental energy plummets and so does my productivity and generally all i feel is frustration have no interest in doing anything.

Problem is I cant really drink in small quantities either (im compelled to drink until i go to bed) so this habit is not really sustainable and its effecting my health and my overall productivity from regularly being hungover.

The logic so far has always been: “Stop drinking, feel miserable and be less productive or drink regularly, be less productive, but at least you experience some pleasure in your life”.

So the plan:

1. Use Click Tracks as instructed while focusing on the feeling or experience of drinking and also at those times when the feeling the strong impulse to drink (i am already comfortable and familiar with the specifics of this step).

I have been quite resistant to click tracking the good “looking forward to it” feeling because its one of the rare good feelings I have and clearing good feelings, even if they create bad behaviors, still seems wrong somehow.

2. Use Belief Blasters

Do you recommend I start with this first as I understand it is more powerful and a good replacement for PSTEC negative?

Some ideas for beliefs (already changed to past tense):

I've been an alcoholic
        I was an alcoholic
        I enjoyed drinking alcohol
        Drinking alcohol made me happy
        I needed to drink alcohol
        Alcohol motivated me
        I never feel motivated without alcohol
        I only felt good when drinking alcohol
        I've had nothing to look forward to
        I haven't been motivated
        I didn't enjoy working

3. Use PSTEC Positive with these suggestions

I am now alcohol free
        I always enjoy being sober
        Being sober often motivates me
        I enjoy being productive everyday
        I feel more motivated everyday
        I often enjoy my work

3. Finally, I still need to get Quantum Turbo (or should i go to using this directly right away and skip PSTEC Positive for now?)

Could you assist with some ideas for QT phrases that might work well for my issues?

So thats it so far… Any changes needed or other recommendations?

Also has anybody had any experience working with a drinking problem with PSTEC. How long has it taken to see results?

Would be good to have some idea so I can stop my mind from tricking me into stopping the process after some time “because its not working”.

I also feel a ton of emotional resistance to doing this work (lack of motivation and strong desire to procrastinate) so I would like to make this process as powerful and efficient as possible to make sure I actually get through it and see some results which will hopefully motivate me to keep going :-).

Thank you very much!

1.) Can you briefly elaborate what caused the “PTSD”
        2.) Yes you can get Positive Turbo and a few suggestions with that alone can break the action. What is the desired behavior, outcome you want? Do you want to limit your drinking? Stop completely altogether?

jay12
        PSTEC User

Hi Brian,

1. Sure, it was from an armed robbery incident that occurred to myself and a roommate.

It was a relatively calm non-violet event (and my roommate suffered no ill effects) but I have had some general and social anxiety since childhood, so I believe I was more prone to the longer lasting psychological trauma potentially caused by such a situation.

I had very bad paranoia and anxiety for a while afterwards but this was made worse by regular and heaving drinking at the time to self medicate (constantly being in the hangover state which compounds anxiety), until I got out of that cycle.

Years later I am much better and just have general but manageable anxiety.

I plan to work on it as well but the drinking is the most pressing concern causing the most practical problems right now and hampering my ability to work on my other issues (since im too anxious to do any kind of therapy work when hungover)

Also I am hoping for a quick win to gain some confidence with PSTEC on some seemingly simpler issues like drinking and smoking and then focusing on the much more intimidating anxiety issue afterwards.

2. Wow, can it really be that effective?

Ideally I would want to remove any desire or impulse to drink, to regain control of my behavior, and never even think about it, but also not have a problem with doing it in the appropriate social situation.

However deleting drinking completely in all its forms would also be perfectly acceptable if that strategy is more effective.

Thanks for the help  :)

Brian Tucker
          PSTEC User

OK thank you for sharing more info about the PTSD related symptoms.

I used to smoke heavily. This was prior to using the PSTEC stop smoking package. I am now a non-smoker and every day cigarettes become more disgusting to me. Nearly two years. Yes, it works.

There are many forum members here that used to drink from moderate to heavy as a way to cope with pain – escape and avoid life's problems.

Whether they want to admit they were alcoholics are not is not in the least bit important and completely unnecessary with PSTEC now even more so with Positive Quantum Turbo. What's important is that they no longer do. Many of them did not consciously quit, it simply went by the wayside as they improved their self-worth.

You can try using these statements with PQT and see what result you get.

Drinking was terrible for me now I've quit now
            I used to drink but now I'm over it now
            Drinking was useless now I'm done drinking now
            Alcohol would have killed me now I'm sober now
            I find better things to do now rather than drink now
            When I'm offered a drink now I always say no thanks now
            I forget why I drank now drinking is unimportant now
            I feel awesome now that I stopped drinking forever now

jay12
            PSTEC User

Great thanks Brian, I will test those.

Just a quick question, is it ok to use the word drinking instead of alcohol.

Since the word has other meanings, is there a chance of the subconscious getting confused? Is it better to be very specific, or does it work because your subconscious knows what is meant in your individual situation?

Brian Tucker
              PSTEC User

Great thanks Brian, I will test those.

Just a quick question, is it ok to use the word drinking instead of alcohol.

Since the word has other meanings, is there a chance of the subconscious getting confused? Is it better to be very specific, or does it work because your subconscious knows what is meant in your individual situation?

Use what feels most powerful to you. The sub will know. The beauty of PSTEC is it either works or it doesn't and Tim has factored in all kinds of things for perfection and mistakes! Just give it a go! :)

Brian Tucker
                PSTEC User

You might also blast the belief “drinking alcohol had been my most important need”

jay12
                  PSTEC User

Ok great thanks Brian, I will feedback asap.

Brian Tucker
                    PSTEC User

Another belief that can help to blast is “I must be connected”

Craig Baxter
                      PSTEC User

off topic but how to deal with an arthritic shoulder

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.