Reply To: PSTEC for Complex PTSD

Andy Eckley
PSTEC User

Hi Core,
    I specialize in clearing all types of PTSD, The use of the click tracks is the same for complex PTSD (C-PTSD) or straight PTSD – I've found that a lot of C-PTSD clients have childhood issues and a good proportion of the one's I treat have bi-polar.

The distinction that I make between complex (C-PTSD) or straight PTSD is that C-PTSD is usually caused by repeated exposure to trauma which results in the lack or loss of control, helplessness, and fear of death, but the protocol is essentially the same. I go into this in more detail in the PTSD toolkits but I do separate the events after doing the persons time-line so instead of trying to work on every traumatic event in each play I take my time and do what the client can handle which may only be one specific incident at a time.

I always use the PTSD loop then the free clearing tracks or EEF's, accelerators, then later we work on beliefs with the positive extra tracks.

Every PTSD suffer I've helped has needed to deal with the feeling that a part of them is missing and this is something I usually use other techniques to change.

PTSD work needs to be done with long sessions, NO one hour sessions if someone has PTSD – a minimum of three hours or preferably all day sessions is needed to keep the client safe.

Just as a side note to beginners who may read this post, please don't jump into working with PTSD clients until you have worked on all your stuff first and have built up your skills with less traumatized clients first!

Helping PTSD sufferers isn't something that's safe for the client if the therapist doesn't have very strong control during the sessions, it often is very scary stuff and if the therapist is affected by the stories then they are no help at all for the client and can even set them back!

Good luck, Andy Eckley PSTEC Examiner