Reply To: Media

Paul McCabe
PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi Clearingman,

Thanks for your question, which is certainly very pertinent to a great number of people.

Further to what Brian suggested, you can treat what is presented in the media as you would with anything else you wish to run through PSTEC – keep what you find useful, and neutralise the unwanted parts.

The media (in their many guises) do have an agenda, for sure, and you can buy into it, ignore it (as best you can) or simply neutralise any unwanted emotional reactions you have to it. The term “media” – the way I am thinking about it -applies to print, visual and social media.

So, in answer to your question, it is 100% possible to bypass the bombardment of fear-mongering, doom and gloom and general negativity – not that it's always presented like that. You can do that, whether it's from the media or the culture. Set your own frame and choose to accept what seems useful to you.

It can take some conscious effort, but I know it can be achieved. I am affected by human interest stories (as I wish to keep that reaction), but am not affected by all the “proclamations of doom.” I think that is a consequence of work I have done, and also having the conscious awareness that so many of the negative predictions have not come to fruition.

Resolving this can be a matter of taking an inventory of the sort of messages you have picked up from the media and accepted as an absolute truth (e.g. a belief). If I had just arrived from Mars and absorbed a few days of Western media, I'd personally conclude:

– “Everyone in authority is corrupt”
    – “There is not enough money”
    – “Money is the most important thing in the world”
    – “The world is a dangerous place”
    – “Everything is getting worse”
    – “Your neighbours can't be trusted”
    – “Terror is a constant threat”
    – “The people who are happy have to look a certain way”
    – “He who shouts loudest gets the most attention”

It can all be quite dizzying.

The media will bombard us all with thoughts, predictions and certain viewpoints. It can be helpful to know that these are framed for maximum sensationslism, ratings, advertising and to frame certain ideologies.

So, without getting too off-topic here, you can recognise that what you see in the media is just a version of reality.  You can also CT all unwanted reactions to the media – even if what is presented relates to a massacre, tragedy or prediction of doom.

CT this down to 0 or 1 – as and when it comes up.

You can also do a Belief Blaster on any beliefs you hold about what is presented in the media:

“The world was a dangerous place”
    “Everything was going go get worse”
    “People were always being exploited by Wall Street”
    “The crooks always got away with it”

These type of beliefs might seem and feel true, but you can find counterexamples. When you blast them, you can see and feel they are not absolute truths.

You can then leverage what the various media do and layer in some powerful suggestions. With PQT, you could layer in suggestions about the future and personal safety:

“The world is safer than it's ever been, so I can relax”
    “I can be calm, even when people are being hysterical”

etc.

I hope that is helpful.

All the best,

Paul

Paul McCabe – PSTEC Master Practitioner

http://www.lifestyleforchange.com

Please contact me anytime if you want any assistance in utilising PSTEC to help you live a life of tremendous freedom & possibility.

Recreate yourself with PSTEC.

Skype, Zoom, in-person & phone sessions available…