Reply To: Subjective truth

Forums Questions on PSTEC Packages Belief Blasters Subjective truth Reply To: Subjective truth

Jesse Jacobs
PSTEC User

Hi Paul,

Thank you again for such a comprehensive response. You make many excellent points.

Thinking of beliefs in terms of absolute truth is very insightful. It makes sense that beliefs are just a subjective truth which shapes our reality. I completely agree and in my question avoided using objective truth for this reason.

In these terms are you suggesting it may be more useful to find the causal belief rather than descriptive belief? Here are some things you said that I found very useful:

If it is descriptive you “…would be arguing with your emotional experience. You felt fear and are effectively trying to tell yourself you didn’t.” … “So, a belief like “spiders had been scary” is objectively untrue, as not everyone believes that or feels afraid around them. “I was scared of spiders” or “spiders had been scary for me”, however, would be objectively (did you mean subjectively?) true, as they encapsulate how you felt. They are descriptive, rather than causal.” – Paul

With this understanding could you clarify these examples below using (X = Spiders)?
    Using (X) might be easier for others reading to insert a different issue.

Descriptive
    (X / Spiders) are scary / (X) had been scary [for me]
    (X) are scary / (X) had been scary [but not for everyone]

Causal
    (X) will harm me / (X) had been harmful
    (X) will harm me / (X) would have harmed me

(X) will harm me is a causal belief that triggers a reaction which is the descriptive belief of (X) is/are scary. This seems to get more specific to the root of the limiting belief. If there is no harm it is no longer scary.

In some ways if this two are combined they become a complex belief:  X is scary because X is harmful. If you eliminate one you eliminate the other.

It seems you have placed an emphasis on causal beliefs. Please let me know if this was indeed a conclusion you were making.  I am seeking to understand a reasoning and method that gets to the beliefs that have contributed to the emotional and behavioral experience.

Thank you again for your continued advice, :)

Jesse