Reply To: Has anyone been able to cure blushing?

Salex
PSTEC User

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your question. Let me give you a bit of a background. I am an extreme blusher, which is accompanied with extreme sweating. My reaction is noticeable immediately. I blush in any of the following situations: when I'm criticized, when I'm in center of attention, in any other situation which I consider embarrassing, when speaking to attractive women, when addressing unknown people (eg. in the shop), even if someone makes risque jokes or if someone teases me… I lack self-confidence and have panic attacks whenever I need to do something for the first time (eg. new tasks at work).
    I became aware of blushing symptoms sometimes in my early teenage years. I first started reading books (Freud, Jung and many contemporary self-help authors) trying to understand my condition. Over time, I had periods when my blushing seemed under control and was not so frequent. But it would then just come back stronger then previously. At the age of 31, I started with psychoanalysis which went on for 7-8 years with a few short interruptions. I stopped 6 years ago because I could not afford it any more and also it didn't bring desired results, although some improvements have been made. It seems that my therapist could not overcome my resistance. During that time, I was able to better understand my condition and possible reasons which are causing it but I did not manage to go beyond that and could not eliminate the blushing reaction. I realized that I suffer from fear of authority figures, lack of self-esteem, fear of making mistakes and thus looking stupid so that others will laugh at me, lack of self-confidence, I am very anxious when I need to meet new people…
    Despite everything, I got married and got children and worked in a managerial position for 13 years. Although I was fairly successful in that position, I was under constant stress as I had to liaise with clients on a daily basis. Many epic blushing occurred during meetings which even made clients uncomfortable.
    A few years after stopping with the couch therapy, I tried hypnotherapy and went through 10-15 sessions, also with limited results. I still occasionally listen to recorded hypnosis, which does help me to reduce stress and sleep better, but still no effect on reducing blushing.
    Last year I have migrated to another country and my situation exacerbated as I was out of my comfort zone in a completely new environment. I only managed to find employment in a very junior position, which additionally undermined my confidence and my blushing went worse than ever. So I started with 'Overcoming social anxiety' program and got stuck after about 2/3 through it, only to realize that the program offers different techniques to keep anxiety under control, but it does not eliminate the root of the problem.
    About a year ago, I discovered the interview with Tanya & Jeff and started experimenting with Free Click Tracks. I used them intensively for about a month. It seemed that I had made some improvements, so I purchased PSTEC for blushing tutorial and then also Level 1. I continued with EEFs and positives for another month or so, only to realize that blushing was still there, with the same intensity. I was very discouraged to continue and I just gave up. And I recently received a newsletter from Tim/Jeff, so I came back to the Forum in hope to find some answers and with the idea of giving PSTEC another chance and starting once again. I feel I am struggling with my life and career as my blushing is holding me back. I have hope there must be a solution to my issues somewhere out there, I just haven't found it yet. Are you able to point me in the right direction?