Adapting too quickly to the Click Tracks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Harding
    PSTEC User

This is probably a question for an audiologist or neurologist, but I was wondering if anyone who is a musician, or especially a drummer, has found the tracks lost effectiveness very quickly.

I know I am using them correctly, as I followed the instructions and found success with them in my early sessions. Within a week of using them though, I found I was getting no effect. I went to use them on a particular issue, and where earlier I found it hard to concentrate on the emotion or even the trigger event, with this issue it was easy to focus on the triggers and emotion and actually hold them through the tapping. I even realised a few times that I'd still been tapping away whilst thinking about these events.

With this issue I've done two sessions of over half a dozen rounds (I think the first session was closer to ten rounds), and this included using the EEFs and accelerators with the stretch techniques. The emotion didn't change in intensity at all. In fact, it seemed to get stronger, which made me wonder if a) I had developed a 'tolerance' to the clicks, and b) maybe the clicks had become anchors.

That is when I started wondering; if I had adapted quickly, what would cause that. The only thing I could think of was that I played the drums for many years, so probably process percussive input in a different way to most people. Even though I still find it hard sometimes through the tracks to keep up with the tapping, has my brain learned the click patterns quickly and now dealing with them in a different way to how a pattern interupt normally works? Pattern interupts are meant to work quickly if at all.

Boe

Jeff Harding
      PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi Boe,

There is an assumption that you are working off of here: “…if I had adapted quickly…”

What if that assumption is false?

Consider a few guidelines:

• Therapy is not hard… when it becomes hard and forceful, it's not working.
        • Resistance of our subconscious comes in all sorts of forms, flavors, disguises oration.
        • Adapting to the click tracks will most likely take perhaps hundreds of click tracks (of course, it varies per person), so don't be too quick to label yourself as having adapted … especially in light of you using various click tracks and using the stretch.
        • [/list]The biggest key to success with PSTEC is targeting the issue and most people that are “stuck” are not going deep enough… meaning, they are stopping at a certain point.

Quite often, our subconscious will make excuses to keep our conscious mind away from the issue because it has deemed the issue and related information as not accessible.  Yep, there are parts of the subconscious that are not accessible to the conscious mind and so up comes the “reason” why you can't.

When you have no results after a round or two at the most on a specific memory/imagined event and emotion/feeling, then you are probably not targeting it correctly and should reassess.  This is why it's important to rate the feelings and see if you are progressing… if not budging at all after one or two click tracks, then try another angle because if you push and persist on the same exact angle, you are, most likely forcing it.

When feelings seem to stay the same or especially rise, you are getting closer, but you are probably not at the cause just yet, so keep listening to the messages for healing… not the excuses of why something does not work.

All of this is very general that I have shared, so if you are stuck, I encourage you to seek out a PSTEC Practitioner at the PSTEC Registry… there is a listing of various PSTEC therapists, practitioners and experts.  You can browse through there…  Don't let the geography get in the way because when I work with individuals, about 80-90% of the time we do the work via the phone or Skype.

Sometimes we just need someone to point us down another road or path that we missed … perhaps the subconscious intentionally (metaphorically) set out the “Bridge Out” sign, but that precise Bridge is exactly what will lead you to your personal freedom.  :- )

Aloha!

Jeff

Jeff Harding
        PSTEC User

Thanks again, Jeff.

After two very long rounds of tapping I could still easily and strongly feel the emotion without any change. I thought that the tapping was meant to be a pattern interrupt and that pattern interrupts work very quickly. But even if this is the case, your words have led me to realise that there are other techniques Tim is using which also work to erase the negative emotion. Pattern interrupts are just a small part of the audios. So I'm happy to assume I made the wrong assumption and have not adapted. :) This gives me hope, and I will run through the emotion again.

As I said in my previous email, I do love the audios, and I know I only have a small understanding of the techniques he uses. So I'm trusting in his deep experience and just suspending any doubts.

I am still curious about the positive click tapping question though. ;)

Boe
          :)

Jeff Harding

Hi Boe,
            My other reply above applies a bit here as well, but to add…
            #53?

Now, remember what I said about running the click track on a particular issue… if it is not moving, then reassess.

Let me emphasize…

IF THE ISSUE IS NOT MOVING (in other words, the emotional intensity is not changing, EITHER UP OR DOWN), then reassess.

Reassess the issue… listen for other clues from the subconscious… see if there is another angle to this… look for secondary gain (why would you NOT want to let go of this issue… what is the advantage of keeping this issue?).

If you feel truly stuck, do not despair or give up… do not be proud… ask for help and look for a practitioner that can help you along and give you another point of view… another angle on the issue.

Remember, not everything is apparent… definitely not logical … and much can be hidden, especially with long-term issues and old traumas.

The sub is childlike, so treat it like a child.  Now, that does not mean “lord” over it and be use force… I know some may do that and think that's the way to get a child to “behave” and act properly …. but, I want to propose an alternative here…

Approach it with unconditional care and acceptance.  I am avoiding the word “love” because there are far too many variations of that to be helpful.  Let's go with care and acceptance that says, 'I care about you no matter what happens… I always want the best for you not matter what you do.'

Take that approach with your sub.

Many times we have a barrier or issue that we MUST be rid of… we even might say something like, “I hate this… I am sick of this… I have to get rid of this!!!”
            …. well … not very caring or accepting, huh?

So, approach this work as… well… play!  The sub loves play, but play with a purpose.  Make it fun!  Be gentle.

I want to quote, once again, a good friend of mind here on the Big Island…

“Self Awareness Without Self Kindness is Self Abuse.”
            Dana St. Claire
            http://www.maylaigh.org

And to quote Tim:
            (well, not sure if it's a quote, but pretty close)
            “Hard work is not effective in therapy.”

Aloha!

Jeff

Jeff Harding
            PSTEC User

Thanks, Jeff. All excellent food for thought and makes sense.
              It's also given me an idea for a positive click to help ease that emotion into “playfully” drifting away.
              :)

Thanks again!

Boe

Jeff Harding

You're always welcome… check back in after your “play time.”  :- )
                Aloha!
                Jeff

Jeff Harding
                PSTEC User

Just discovered I got my definition of “pattern interrupt” wrong. Pattern interrupts are designed to confuse which then creates a trance state. Trying to follow the clicking creates this state of confusion/trance. Trance makes the sub more accessible. When the sub is more accessible, it's more receptive to suggestions.

I know there is a stack more to the tracks than this (including “stacks”!), but wanted to clarify this.

Boe

Oh yeh, pattern interrupts create a trance, and they also weaken and eventually break the neural pathways which connect a memory of a negative event to the part of the brain that holds the emotional response to that event.

Boe

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.