Becoming a PSTEC Practitioner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rugal
    PSTEC User

Hello all
      I have been using PSTEC for a year and it has had a dramatic effect on my life. I now want to help other people with this wonderful tool. I was wondering what are the requirements? I have the level 1 audios and I found that there are exams for certification which I plan to take. Do I also need a degree in psychology or similar? Can start I helping people a bit before then?

Thanks

Peter Bunyan
      PSTEC User

Hi Rugal
        All you need is to pass the level 1 exam, get yourself some insurance and get registered. You can start helping people by posting comments and advice right here on this Forum. It's what I did and will continue to do. Look forward to you joining us.
        Peter

Jeff Harding
        PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Here is a step-by-step list to help guide you along the various aspects of being a PSTEC Practitioner and using PSTEC in your work to help guide others…
          http://pstecaudiosource.org/therapist-area

Aloha!
          Jeff

Sally Baker
          PSTEC User

We mostly come to working in a therapeutic capacity from varied backgrounds, often having followed diverse career paths and sometimes having experienced and survived incredible life changing challenges of our own.

So whatever our starting points, I believe that we all need to be accountable as therapists and abide to a strict code of conduct. This kind of structure, for instance, is part of my membership of the General Hypnotherapist Register, (GHR) without which I would not be able to obtain professional indemnity insurance and in turn practice within a professionally recognised framework.

It is true that in some countries and some states in US licensing is not required for practicing some modalities including hypnotherapy. However a responsible practitioner would ask oneself “Am I doing only good?” for the person who is asking for help, and most importantly “Am I doing no harm?”.

So, the short answer to the question – perhaps the qualification needs to come not from the outside but from the inside, from the question that the practitioner would ask of oneself “Do I know all I need to know to be of help”.

As professional therapists it is our full time occupation to study, train in, and practice our modalities and work safely within our knowledge range and experience. One way I ensure the “Do I know all I need to know to be of help” is that I invite every potential client for a free one hour consultation. From the outset it is understood that there is no obligation to commit to working together for either party. This is not merely an opportunity for a potential client to meet with me to see if they like me or not. It is, on my part, a professional consideration to explore and assess through a robust intake process whether a client’s presenting issue(s) falls within my knowledge range, therapeutic capabilities and experience.

An example of this from my own clinical experience is my work with clients who present with eating disorders or who strive for successful weight loss. The principals of how to use PSTEC, EFT and Hypnotherapy are featured in the e-book Liz Hogon and I co-wrote called Achieve Your Natural Weight. The reality of working with clients with emotional or stress eating is that the reasons are rarely actually about food. It’s not about being greedy or a lack of will power. Liz and I often find that the issues that lead to a person manifesting self-harm through either over-eating or under-eating, for that matter, are much deeper and more complex.

Therapists have the freedom to work to the unique needs of each client using the skills and techniques we have learnt and developed through many, many hours of practice and training. Good training is an absolute pre-requisite for all therapists as is continuous ongoing professional development throughout one’s career and regular professional supervision.

So, no, I don't believe that therapists need to be psychologically trained in order to practice effectively and ethically as therapists- however, I think we always need to disclose our training and boundaries of practice to our clients.

goatherderpete
            PSTEC User

I plan to set up a therapy pratice in North Carolina, US using PSTec.  This is not something that one does overnight, so working on prepartions while I keep my day job.  While preparing to take the Level 1 exam, starting to line up friends who could benifit from PSTec, designing websites, etc. A detail on my ToDo list is getting insurance.  There are some suggestions on the web site for the UK, does anyone know of insurance companies who will cover a theapist basing their practice on PSTec in the US?
              Thanks In Advance
              GoatherderPete

Andy Eckley
              PSTEC User

Before setting up in practice you should have a lot more than the level 1 audios, at the very least I'd say is Level 1 & Level 1-A (advanced) along with both the online exams.

Passing the online exams is very important as your understanding of PSTEC can only improve with the feedback that I give you after you pass each exam.

Out of all the people who've taken the exams only 2 have got a 100% pass mark which means that all the rest had gaps in their knowledge.

Tim & Myself developed the exam to ensure that ALL PSTEC therapists will be excellent and have the same depth of knowledge, for instance some people mix in other prior learning, assuming that their prior learning is correct so don't listen to the instructions track close enough and make mistakes with clients which shows up in the exam.

Don't forget that all exams can be taken more that once at NO Extra Charge!

Andy Eckley PSTEC Examiner

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.