Being specific/vague

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Troy Thomason
    PSTEC User

The belief stopping me from mixing at a social event is “It'll be awkward.” That's exactly the words in my mind when I want to mingle. I want to run this through PN, but is that too vague of a statement?

Jeff Harding
      PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

I would go with “I am awkward” but also be sure to add Tim's preface to that phrase as he instructions in the User Guide.

Also, I would delve a bit deeper as well and ask yourself … 'I am awkward because ___________ … see if any other negative beliefs come up.

Aloha!
        Jeff

Troy Thomason
        PSTEC User

Thanks Jeff! What came up when I asked, “I'm awkward because…I want people to like me.” “I want people to like me because…I care what people think about me” “I care what people think about me because…I just do”

So should I use PN on “I care what people think about me”?

Jeff Harding

Sure, and also be aware of other thoughts (beliefs) that arise.

I don't want to be hard on you, but…
            “”I care what people think about me because…I just do”
            … not good enough.  ;)

On the other hand, it might be.  Run PN on that and one of two things can happen; you can erase it and/or other beliefs may arise that are more core to the issue.

But, don't try and dig to find other beliefs, just let them rise up to your consciousness.  As you use the CT's and, especially so, the Accelerators, these hidden beliefs and emotions will come up.  Be patient, persistent and consistent… and they will rise up and when they do… zap 'em!

Realize that Tim's Tools encourage recall… it lets the beliefs, thoughts, images, memories, emotions, feelings, etc. “bubble up” from the subconscious so that you can better target them with the appropriate tool.

Aloha nui!
            Jeff

Troy Thomason
            PSTEC User

Thanks again, Jeff!

Ultimately I've realized that I really just need to imagine the worst case scenarios in social situations and run the EEFs on them. My deal is that the feeling is a 1/10 when I think about it, but a 10/10 in real life!

I'm going to dedicate myself to TRY HARD to feel the feeling until I am totally at peace with the worst case scenarios.

I used to have severe social phobia, so this is my final challenge. I'm gonna clear this for good!

Jeff Harding

When you imagine it and CT it and when it's down to 0-1, follow up with PSTEC Positives… use several to express more than one aspect of how you desire to respond, to feel, etc.

Example…

“When I am around people I feel at ease and calm”
                “When I am in social situations I easily converse and have a great time”

Alter those a bit or add others to express what you desire using this “If – then” type of structure.

Aloha!
                Jeff

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.