Caffeine/Coffee Addiction

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andrea Sorvillo
    PSTEC User

Hello,

I have Level 1, the accelerator program, pstec positive and no more anger.  I've been really unsuccessful at quitting coffee and I know by quitting, I will feel better overall.  I'm convinced coffee is the source of anxiety for me. 

How would I use the above programs to quit?  When I'm drinking coffee, I love the way I feel.  When I come down from the high, I hate the way I feel.  Could I click tap on the negative feelings?  How would this prevent me from wanting it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Paul McCabe
      PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi AS44,

Thanks for your post.

I can totally relate to what you wrote, as I love coffee myself, and at one point I would have described that as an addiction. Now my consumption of coffee is very much a choice, and I *choose* not to eliminate coffee outright.

I have cut out coffee in the past, however, and I did not drink a single coffee (or have any other heavily-caffeinated products, such as energy drinks) for a whole year. I might be a little over-caffeinated now, but I no longer get the “coffee downers” I used to get, which is why I am happy enough to keep drinking coffee in moderation. That may change in time.

However, we know that coffee can trigger certain unwanted feelings. Like anything that has addictive qualities, the negative feelings can arise for consumption and “need”, or both.

I think a few things underlie my coffee consumption no longer producing a sense of anxiety or a “crash”: a more balanced diet, drinking plenty of water (at least 8 glasses a day) and probably my continued practice of PSTEC and other processes.

So, I write all of the above to give you a context. I know that you can elimimate the desire for coffee, limit or eliminate your intake and consume healthier alternatives, but it is worth considering (for yourself) the best way to do this…and whether you are getting enough sleep and access to those healthier alternatives – plenty of water, vegetables etc.

Sometimes quitting something can leave a “vacuum”, so I tend to think it is realistic to try and find alternatives. So, you may be drinking a lot of coffee as you feel low on energy or lethargic. I know, from experience, that replacing an unwanted behaviour works best if you find something that is healthier and sustainable. Caffeine is very addictive and going “cold turkey” on it can have some unwanted side effects – headaches, nausea or a feeling of irritability.

These might not apply to you, but read up on it and then factor that in and then decide whether you want to immediately eliminate all caffeine from your diet, slowly build up to that (by consuming less and less on a more gradual basis)…or get your consumption to a much lower level. So, if you drink 5 cups a day, get down to 4…then 3…etc.

If you do have the facility to commit to that, and this is something that might be compelling for you, I would recommend:

1) Using the Free Click Tracks and EEFs on the DESIRE for coffee – the cravings etc. This csn show up in various ways for you. Maybe you feel triggered when you walk past a coffee shop, see coffee at the supermarket, get the smell of coffee, imagine the taste of coffee, hear people talking about “having a coffee.”

2) Engaging with all aspects of the “need for coffee.” Essentially, you would be working on ALL your senses and how they impact your desire for coffee – sight, sound, taste etc. Work on each of these systematically. Click Track the desire down to 0…or as close to it as possible. Make sure to vary the tracks – so mix up the EEFs and Free CTs. Test this out as you go. If you get your feelings from (for example) a 10 to a 5, that might be enough for you to not have the NEED for coffee, but you might choose not to be outright eliminate the desire for it.

3) Using the Accelerator tracks while you imagine being a person who no longer feels the need to drink coffee – someone who consciously chooses.

4) Using PSTEC Positive to suggest alternative behaviours. For example, “When I feel tired, I drink a glass of water,” “I can generate energy from eating a balanced diet,” and “I always ensure that I am properly hydrated.”

5) Use the Accelators on your suggestions.

There are many more suggestions you can give yourself, and these will be based on what yo intend to achieve and how far you wish to go with this.

However, I feel that what I have described above is a good starting point.

I hope this helps and please let us know how you get on.

Paul

Paul McCabe – PSTEC Master Practitioner

http://www.lifestyleforchange.com

Please contact me anytime if you want any assistance in utilising PSTEC to help you live a life of tremendous freedom & possibility.

Recreate yourself with PSTEC.

Skype, Zoom, in-person & phone sessions available…

Peter Bunyan
        PSTEC User

Hi AS44

Once the caffeine has cleared from your body in say two or three days, then what is left is habit, something purely of the mind.

As Paul has suggested and…

You could use Positive with a statement to the effect of “It will be quick and easy to become caffeine free” (note that you are not “giving up” you are becoming free of the desire for coffee). Click Track any feeling that suggests to you otherwise. While running the Positive imagine that you have suceeded and feel good about it.

Environmental changes can also help. Do not have any coffee in the house, give it away, or at last hide it out of sight in the back of a cupboard. Get others around you to help you in this. Find somewhere else to socialize away from coffee shops. Put a dollar/pound in your old coffee mug for every time you do not have a coffee. See the money build up and aim to treat yourself when you have gone coffee free.

Peter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.