Click tracks for stuttering?

Forums Questions on PSTEC Packages Click Track 2015 Click tracks for stuttering?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Harrison Munachi
    PSTEC User

Hi

I have been a user of the PSTEC click tracks for quite a while now, and have had mixed amounts of success with it in relation to tackling some of the social anxiety issues i have been dealing with for quite a while now. However, i cannot seem to achieve any success with dealing with the stuttering issue that i have. I am not a sever stutterer by any means but i do suffer from a lot of speech anxiety as well as anticipatory anxiety which seems to make the stuttering a lot worse. I have recently found myself having to avoid speaking situations in order to avoid stuttering.
      I have recently purchased the Cascade release system and heard in the tutorial that Tim devised the tool after dealing with a stutterer. I have used it 3 times so far and it hasn't helped with my stuttering. Can you possibly suggest any methods i can utilize for better results perhaps.

Thank you.

Peter Bunyan
      PSTEC User

Hi Hmunachi

Stuttering is a problem in the subconscious. We know this because it is an outcome of the anxiety, which is clearly a feeling. More accurately IMO a number of feelings or fears flipping through faster than you can think about it. This suggests the tools to use are the Click Tracks. The social anxiety and stuttering are almost certainly related and stem from the same cause. Do you remember a single event from which it all started? Or a series of related events? Have you always felt like this as  far as you can remember? Your answers to these questions might give me a clue as to the best way forward.
        You might consider trying to teasing apart exactly what the  components are of your anxiety, then Click Track each part. Are you OK with single people or is it groups? Are you OK until someone looks at you? Is it worse with males or females? Is it worse when they walk towards you? These sorts of things are possible. Fear of speaking, is it that you feel you might sound stupid or some such? Fear that you do not know what to say or that you might “dry up”? Fear that they will mock you? All these different scenarios and flavors of fear getting you stressed and anxious. If this or something like it are your problem then you can also consider building a worst case future scenario of possible aspects. all the things that make it worse coming together.  Then run this scenario in your mind and Click Track it.

Get back to us soon
        Peter

Harrison Munachi
        PSTEC User

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your speedy reply, my stuttering has been quite a strange one in the sense that i have moments where i have improved/normal fluency which makes my really confident and as a result improve my fluency even more.

There is no explicit time in my mind that i can remember not being a stutterer, my big brother had/has a bit of a stutter and i remember teasing him when we were little, but i have always had normal fluency up until my teenage years but even before then i would stutter on the occasional word, but i though nothing of it because it never affected my social life.

There also isn't a particular social environment where i find my fluency struggles it all seems sporadic and more importantly i don't always have to be anxious to stutter, sometimes i find myself stuttering in the middle of telling a funny story while laughing through it which is why i have struggled with using the click tracks because although the thought of stuttering does make me slightly anxious, i have tried to accept the fact that i am a stutterer and other people's reaction to my speech doesn't make me embarrassed. I just feel that it is really limiting my social life as well as career prospects. I would just like to actively try whatever i can to get back to the level of fluency i had prior to my teens.

Also, i noticed that Tim has released a 2015 click track, i have been using the free click tracks and wonder if the 2015 ones might be more effective perhaps.

Peter Bunyan
          PSTEC User

Hi Hmunachi

When very young we learn by copying. It might be that you learnt  to stutter from your brother right from the age of say two. (Do either of your parents or other relatives have this problem?) When you were older at school you would have discovered that the stuttering was not quite normal but as nobody took much notice it was not much of an issue. Much later as a teenager you might have found it embarrassing and at this point anxiety could have built up fearing further embarrassments.

If this sort of story is something like yours then perhaps the way forward is to Click Track remembered incidents. The most memorable first. this may not stop the stutter but it hopefully will give you back some confidence lost. I base this on the fact that you believe it to be limiting social life and career prospects. So rather than aim at losing the stutter aim for increasing self worth and confidence such that the stutter does not matter in any situation at all.

How does this sound to you?
            Peter

Harrison Munachi
            PSTEC User

Hi Peter,

That all sounds very promising, so are you saying that the cascade release tracks perhaps isn't best used for the stuttering, i find that odd because Tim developed the tracks having dealt with someone who stuttered.

But i will use the click tracks for the anxiety and see how i get on. In regards to your questions, none of my parents stutter and i have no doubt that its something i learned from my brother. The irony however is i have it a lot worse than he does now. Can i also ask if you would suggest i purchased the new click tracks rather than rely on the free ones?

Peter Bunyan
              PSTEC User

Hi Hmunachi

Not so much that, more that CR may not be the best tool for stuttering in your particular case. The paid for Click Tracks are more effective in many cases. Which CTs though is a more difficult question as they appear to have a very mixed response. What works better for some people may not for others. The Enhanced CTs on Level1 also come with PSTEC Positive which is another tool you might find helpful at some point. The 2015 CTs come in different lengths and another track that can help combine multiple related memories or related feelings from different memories into one Click Track session. If you can clearly remember a number of different times that the stuttering has been a problem then perhaps 2015 if they have already blurred into one bigger problem then Level 1.

If possible I would try to get you to remember that first time you copied your brother and the feelings you had at that time. Were you just learning from him or was there some other reason. Perhaps his stutter gained some extra attention on one occasion from your parents and when young you wanted some more of that for yourself so you copied and perhaps gave it a bit more, this was so successful you just kept on working it. Going back so far might need hypnotic regression which is not a part of PSTEC.

Peter

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.