Confused about differences between tracks

Forums General Discussions and Specific Issues Confused and Not Sure Where to Start Confused about differences between tracks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Louise Bromley
    PSTEC User

Hello there.  I have a CD 'Self Help with PSTEC' and wonder if I could get something clarified please.  Have used Track 1 successfully before and then thought I would try Track 2 and Enhanced Click Track, for a change.  However I am getting in a bit of a muddle as I keep wanting to do the tapping protocol of Track 1, but on the other tracks Tim changes it round – eg different tone for when you tap with both hands than the one he uses on Track 1.

Guess what I'm trying to say is – does this actually matter?  I am finding it so distracting – this 'getting the right tap for the right noise' that I sort of want to give up after five minutes!  I then feel that I should only ever use Track 1 as I've gotten used to it.

I'm also concerned and wonder whether it matters that I am  concentrating so hard on getting the tapping right that I sort of forget about the problem I am supposed to be keeping in mind!

Would appreciate any advice – many thanks.

Barbara Huss
      PSTEC User

Greetings lou49, here is the understanding I have come to through my use of the clicktracks:  As I listen to the clicktrack, and try to follow along in the prescribed manner, my state is changed.  Trying to follow the clicks and tones, while simultaneously remembering the event and accompanying emotions, creates a state of divided attention in me.  It is this state that keeps the “critical factor” (Tim's term, I use another term) from “butting in” so to speak, and resulting in the mechanical reactivity that I experience in my usual states.  So your use of the word “distracted” is precisely correct.  I want that part of my mind to be distracted, occupied, kept busy, so it doesn't come nosing around what's going on in the subconscious.  I'm always glad when I can't quite follow along, or miss some taps, or tap with the wrong hand.  It means the crafty critical factor hasn't mastered it yet, and so needs to tend to it's own business.  That's why there are more than just one clicktrack.  If I get “too good” at tapping with one of the tracks, it's time to switch to another.

I usually find there is a see-saw type of movement of attention during the clicktracks.  One moment I'm more attentive to trying to follow the clicks, another moment I'm more focused on the memory, event or emotion.  I just keep coming back to trying to hold them both in attention. 

I really try to emphasize feeling the emotion, as opposed to a memory with no emotion,  if I can, when I'm clicking .  My  understanding is that the subconscious will apply what Tim is saying in the script to the emotion.  The emotion is the referent to which the subconscious applies Tim's script.  If I'm having trouble feeling the emotion, sometimes I sense my body instead.  While I can hear Tim's voice in the background while I'm clicking, I never actively listen to the script.

You can try an experiment with divided attention for yourself.  Next time you are, say, talking with someone, try at the same time to also sense your right hand.  If you give this a try, you will have a new appreciation for how elegant and effective Tim's creation really is.  Keep at it, it's worth the effort.

Louise Bromley
        PSTEC User

Thanks so much for this.  I feel that when the PSTEC really works, it does so because it sort of scrambles up my brain (and I usually feel just a little bit 'weird' for half an hour or so afterwards).  I guess that this is the whole point of the exercise and is what makes it work.

Problem is that when it's a 'harder' track to follow that I feel irritated and frustrated with it and want to stop listening. Maybe it's just my mind resisting the idea of change to that particular emotion/idea?  I'll stick with it though.

Jeff Harding
          PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

All very good points made by the Stranger.

If you are having a bit of difficulty running the Click Tracks in terms of feeling irritated, etc.; here are a couple actions that can help…

• Use the CT you are comfortable with on the irritated feeling while imagining you are running the CT.
            • Prepare Your Mind…

Use these three Positive Statements exactly as they are and run them using the PSTEC Positive (PP) before you get started using the CT on the emotional issue you are targeting… use these EACH TIME you are going to do a Click Track session… follow the PP instructions with each statement separately…

Note: If you do not have PP, then at least repeat these a few times before running the click tracks.

1) “When I listen to the click tracks I follow the instructions because they are important”
              2) “I want to feel what happened when _______(think of the issue you will be targeting with the CT)______ so the click tracks will be able to quickly help me.”
              3) “I want to gently release my emotions to enjoy my life and to do so completely”

Again, repeating these a few times before doing anything else may well pay dividends. Of course a genuine intention and desire to do this so as to be happy is important.

These are very carefully worded and so should be used verbatim.

• [/list]Aloha!

Jeff

Louise Bromley
            PSTEC User

Thanks so much for this, Jeff.

Jeff Harding
              PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

You're always welcome!

Aloha!

Jeff

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.