eliminating or reducing racism

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    another
    PSTEC User

hello,

i am unhappy with some of my snap judgements of people based on their race or ethnicity.

has anyone used these products to work on these issues, and how did they do it?

Peter Bunyan
      PSTEC User

Hi another

As far as I know nobody else has tried this before, however I do not see why PSTEC cannot help you.

Firstly thanks for presenting me with the opportunity to answer such a great question. Lets have a quick look at what racism is. Humans have evolved from ape like creatures over the last few million years. The apes even today are tribal and territorial, and live in extended family groups, we have not changed that much either.  Anyone who looks different by colour or dress, anyone who speaks or behaves differently is likely to attract xenophobic reactions in people around them. We might like to think we are “civilised” but the animal in us is still there. To behave like an animal is a derogatory comment but tribalism is still rampant; for example the recent US presidential election, (us and them/republican or democrat) and territorialism; for example the UK Brexit (Us and them/you can't come here this is our country) These elctions are meant to be the high point of democracy but demonstrate that it is seriously flawed. Instead of transcending our animal nature it perpetuates it. As a runner I love to see athletes perform at the highest level in the Olympics showing off how humans can improve all the time, the ultimate in human endeavour. However I am saddened by the TV and press trivialising this with the “our country has gained more medals than yours” attitude, the event is degraded by it. So racism is clearly very basic deep rooted part of our nature, but it does not have to remain that way. We are capable of being greater than we started, of learning and improving ourselves, and what finer goal is there in life?

You want to change and hope that you can. Starting with that, anything is possible.
        Now what to do about it. The PSTEC Click Tracks remove any emotion from any memory or anticpated future event. You said that you make snap judgements about people, this demonstrates that it is an emotional problem. You have made the judgement before you even logically worked it out. This is your subconscious controling your behaviour, using emotions it is faster than your conscious self using language. As it is an emotional problem it is possible to do something about it with the Click Tracks.

As I have no idea what you know or how much you have used the Click Tracks, please forgive me if you already have done this. (Something went wrong here and I have retyped this next part.) First download the FREE Basic Click Tracks.t and listen to the instructions file first, then the first few minutes of a Click Track so that you know what to do. Recall a recent incident where you have felt antipathy towards someone of different race, colour, ethnicity or sexual orientation. Keep it in mind and relive it while running a click track. Take note of the 0-10 count before and after the track. Next try to remember the incident that had the most memorable impact on you and click track that. Now invent a potential future incident that has all the things in it that would make it as bad as possible for you, and click track this invented scene.

There is much more, but see how you get on with this first and then write back and let us know how you got on. I realise that I have skipped through this very quickly so if you have any questions, please ask.

Peter

Paul McCabe
        PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi another,

I am very confident that PSTEC would work for this.

I 100% agree with what Peter wrote about the tribalism that is becoming ever more pervasive in many of our societies and is perpetuated by Politicians, the media etc.

In Tim's original description of PSTEC, one of its uses was to “remove unwanted religious programming.”  The feelings you have are your “unwanted programming” and may come from negative experiences, people relaying negative experiences or early childhood experiences. Perhaps your friends or family expressed dislike/distrust of certain ethnic groups when you were at an impressionable age.

I have used PSTEC to resolve unwanted feelings about certain people. This was more of an individual basis. For instance, if I felt uncomfortable or resentful around a certain person, I would use the PSTEC tools to remove the unwanted feelings and replace them with a neutral or positive feeling. You might as well feel good about people, right?

It has been tremendously effective in that regard.

Recognising that you have snap judgements shows great insight and, to my mind, courage. It would seem that a lot of people would assume their snap judgements are “right.”

To make this a bit more practical, a protocol I used was:

1) Think of the person or “group of people” (e.g. “authority types” – in your case, people of a certain race).

2) Get clear on what feelings come up. Is it fear, discomfort, dislike? Get clear on what has to happen for said feelings to come up. Label the emotions and write each one down.

3) Label each emotion on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the strongest). Writing this down tends to be very helpful.

4) Imagine the sort of events or scenarios which cause your feelings while running the Click Tracks

5) Click Track each emotion down to 0

This is the basic protocol and is, in my experience, very effective. This can be sped up by varying the tracks, using the PSTEC Accelerator etc.

Another way to access and resolve this is by removing the unwanted beliefs via PSTEC Negative and then using PSTEC Positive to add new suggestions.

I do not know which tools you have available, however, so do not want to bombard you with too much information just now.

I hope this helps and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul McCabe – PSTEC Master Practitioner

http://www.lifestyleforchange.com

Please contact me anytime if you want any assistance in utilising PSTEC to help you live a life of tremendous freedom & possibility.

Recreate yourself with PSTEC.

Skype, Zoom, in-person & phone sessions available…

another
          PSTEC User

Thanks for the suggestions.

That's very interesting regarding the elimination of unwanted religious beliefs.  Fortunately that's not a problem for me.

I should point out that I'm not a rabid racist, probably just an average one, but that I just wish for lower racist responses.  I feel that negatively prejudging people is unfair and also reduces my opportunities to connect with people that I might otherwise like.

In terms of PSTEC tools, I have a few of them and can can get whatever I need for this.

Somewhat relatedly, I used PSTEC successfully to reduce the fear/anger trigger that I have to our new president-elect.  (Yes I'm from the US.)  I have no intention of liking him but I really don't want to go around getting triggered for four or eight years over something I have no control of.  People I know were stuck in that kind of reactivity against Bush eight years ago and some people I don't know had that reaction to Obama.  Thanks PSTEC.

Peter Bunyan
            PSTEC User

Hi another

I am so pleased that you appreciate that there is more to PSTEC than being just a “therapy” good for fixing all those issues and for people that “need help”. You can see that PSTEC can also be used to help us rise above our more primitive natures and become better humans. If more people become better humans then the population as a whole gets better and it becomes possible to have some hope for the human race, that it might look after the small planet we live on. It is part of the reason I write here on this forum, grandiose though it might sound but I am sure that Tim and Jeff and others share similar hopes. It part of what keeps us plugging away, playing our tiny parts in the great scheme of things.

Regarding the racism thing. This is an emotional issue so the Click Tracks would be the best tools  to start with. If you have them move on to the Enhanced Click Tracks or try CT 2015 after the Basic Click Tracks.

Do you have any sayings about the other races that perhaps were in more common use when you were younger and that you can still recall? When you experience a rascist response would such sayings come into your mind? If this is the case then PSTEC Negative might also useful to you.

Peter

Paul McCabe
              PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi another,

It is fantastic that you desire to reduce or even eliminate the emotional triggers caused by certain people, groups or politicians.

Politics has been particularly bitter and tribal this year (in the UK and US, anyway), and I think it's created a lot of hysteria, bad feeling and unfair accusations about the “other side.”

I think the word “racism” itself has been diminished. People are often called racist, bigoted or small-minded these days wnen, in actual fact, they probably do not deserve those tags.

From a spiritual point of view, I think we lose a lot by putting ourselves and others in these little “boxes” – categorising people as belonging to this group, that group or ascribing stereotypical traits to people.

However, we ARE bombarded with fear-based and blame-based rhetoric in the media and even in the streets. Tools like PSTEC can be very effective for separating the hysteria from the reality.

To put it another way, “keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs.”

It starts with a question…

“What do I know FOR SURE?”

So, if a political party or politician you distrust gains power, it might be worth asking…

“What do I know FOR SURE?”

Do any of us KNOW what is going to happen or what that person's intention is…FOR SURE? Do any of us really know what the future holds for sure?  Or what a leader is really like “at heart”?

It is a question to really ponder and, in all honesty, I find asking myself this question to be very effective.

As for seeing people of different races and getting a snap judgement, if you were told “(insert race) can't be trusted” enough times or if you had a bad experience with a group of people from a different race, there may be some subconscious programming there. But I can assure you that my own snap judgements have become much kinder and more rounded than they have ever been, and I do not get hysterical about anything.

To soften your snap judgements, I would recommend using counterexamples. If you had a belief like “(insert race) cannot be trusted”, for instance, try to pick examples where you had positive experiences with someone from that race or where you noticed someone from that race being trustworthy. This is like a training exercise for your mind. It opens up new possibilities.

This is just a brief overview of that process, however. Tim has a free track on Mindfulness that gives more details on this. I highly recommend listening to it, if you get the chance.

http://pstecaudiosource.org/mindfulness

Because some of this is hardwired into us, it is possible to hold beliefs and “gut instincts” with which we consciously disagree.

To that end, I would recommend using the Click Tracks to eliminate the undesired feelings. It worth persevering with this because, as Peter mentioned, there are many surprising benefits to using these tools and processes.

Good luck with it and please let us know how it goes for you.

Paul

Paul McCabe – PSTEC Master Practitioner

http://www.lifestyleforchange.com

Please contact me anytime if you want any assistance in utilising PSTEC to help you live a life of tremendous freedom & possibility.

Recreate yourself with PSTEC.

Skype, Zoom, in-person & phone sessions available…

another
                PSTEC User

Thanks Paul for the “What do I know for sure” words.

I told my kid, who is a very anxious 9 year old, about them and they have been helpful to him.

I've tried PSTEC with him and I don't know if it helped or not.  He's pretty young for it so I didn't really expect it to.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.