Freezing during interview programming test

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sb_in_ca
    PSTEC User

Hi all, I am a software developer seeking to get reemployed.

In the last couple of months, I've had two different live programming tests over Skype, where I had to code a solution to a programming challenge, live over Zoom or Skype.

It's kind of ridiculous, because both were relatively simple challenges, but I just freeze because I have an overwhelming amount of panick-y thoughtsand emotions.  (I have almost 20 experience too!)

Or I simply have obsessive fear-thoughts, that they are thinking I should not be typing that function, or doing this thing in that way,  as I type it alive in front of them. 

I'm thinking I should just do standard pstec on that feeling (?).
      If anyone else has used pstec for this type of situation, I'd be interested in hearing.

Paul McCabe
      PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi Sb_in_ca,

Thanks for your post.

It sounds like you are experiencing a degree of performance anxiety, which shows up as a fear of making a mistake or being judged harshly by others. Of course, we might say that consciously a behaviour or thought makes no sense (and may feel embarrassed or uncomfortable about feeling or acting a certain way), but it will make sense on a subconscious level.

This pattern is perfectly common and can be resolved in quite a straightforward way.

In fact, as with many things, there will be more than one way to resolve this pattern. Your first instinct looks to be spot on and, indeed, the Click Tracks may be all you require.

You can simply run a CT on these type of scenarios and the feelings associated with them:

– being judged harshly
        – public performance
        – job interviews
        – tests/exams
        – criticism based on making mistakes

There will be historical causes and memories around these concepts, I suspect. Use those and CT while thinking about them, trying to bring up and feel the unwanted feelings (e.g. fear).

CT down to 0 or 1.

You can also CT embarrassment about feeling this way, or the worry that people might be thinking less of you when you are fearful or making a mistakes.

Another, highly recommended way to approach this is from the belief perspective. You can clear the causal beliefs with PSTEC Negative or Belief Blasters (http://bit.ly/beliefblasters)

There are different instructions for each program, of course, but they are both very effective for eliminating beliefs.

The sort of beliefs that typically feed into a public performance (e.g. job interview or test) fear include:

– “I'm not good enough”
        – “I can't do anything right”
        – “I'm a failure”
        – “I have to do everything perfectly”
        – “I'm not capable”
        – “I'm not competent”
        – “It's scary for people to focus on me”
        – “What makes me good enough is having people think well of me”
        – “Mistakes are bad”
        – “Failure is bad”
        – “I'm a fearful person”
        – “Tests are scary”

If you have either of the aforementioned programs, I recommend saying those beliefs out loud to see whether they feel or seem true.

If any of them do, follow the instructions in the individual tracks to eliminate the beliefs. For Belief Blasters, put the beliefs into the past tense and really, really try to believe the belief while running the track.

Then, if you have any of the PSTEC Positive tracks, you may wish to layer in some things you really wish to feel and believe in this particular context (or, better, at the identity level).

Something along the lines of:

– “I now feel absolutely at ease when doing live programming tests”
        – “These tests are my chance to calmly show how good I really am”

This is not an exhaustive list, nor the only way you can approach this, but I am confident you will get this handled.

Hope this helps.

Please keep the thread updated with your progress and feel free to ask for any clarifications, if you require them.

Best Regards,

Paul  :)

Paul McCabe – PSTEC Master Practitioner

http://www.lifestyleforchange.com

Please contact me anytime if you want any assistance in utilising PSTEC to help you live a life of tremendous freedom & possibility.

Recreate yourself with PSTEC.

Skype, Zoom, in-person & phone sessions available…

sb_in_ca
        PSTEC User

Thanks Paul, great advice. 
          I agree about adding in the belief work to my work.  I've been using Byron Katie, The Work, for changing beliefs.
          I do also have PSTEC Positive, so may also use that on this.

One nutty belief I caught myself having: 

“If I type a correct answer that they might've originally thought I don't know,  and now they see I am smart/good enough, this causes them to hate me, and to think I'm showing off by typing the right answer” 

( that belief would definitely sabotage me )

So yes, both clicktracking and belief work should help. I'll keep this thread updated

Brian Tucker
          PSTEC User

Also try blasting – Already in past tense

I wasn't good enough to succeed
            I didn't deserve success
            If I made a mistake I would have been rejected
            If I failed I would have been rejected
            Errors were bad
            Others would have judged me
            Being judged was dangerous

“If I type a correct answer that they might've originally thought I don't know,  and now they see I am smart/good enough, this causes them to hate me, and to think I'm showing off by typing the right answer” 
            ^^ CT This to a 1 or 0

Paul McCabe
            PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi Sb_in_ca,

Thanks for your post.

This seems to be a collection of thoughts and beliefs, and shows a level of abstaction that would be beyond most children. Most core beliefs tend to be formed in early childhood and are quite simplistic in structure.

We can hold a mixture of beliefs. The more “core” you get, the more shifts you will get.

Looking at what you wrote, the core beliefs seem to be:

– “I am hated”
              – “It is bad to be hated”
              – “It is bad to disappoint people”
              – “I'm a disappointment”
              – “It is bad to show off”
              – “I have to stay small to be safe”
              – “People can't be trusted”
              – “I'm a threat”
              – “I'm not safe to be me”

Check in with these.

PSTEC Positive can help you layer in positive suggestions of change.

Belief Blasters helps you take away the beliefs you no longer want.

It is usually most efficient to eliminate the beliefs that feed into the problem, THEN layer in the positives.

Best Regards,

Paul

Paul McCabe – PSTEC Master Practitioner

http://www.lifestyleforchange.com

Please contact me anytime if you want any assistance in utilising PSTEC to help you live a life of tremendous freedom & possibility.

Recreate yourself with PSTEC.

Skype, Zoom, in-person & phone sessions available…

sb_in_ca
              PSTEC User

Thanks, I need to look into Belief Blasters

Brian Tucker
                PSTEC User

Definitely blast

“Others were jealous of me”
                  “Others envied me”
                  “Others hated my success”

When you blast these, 1.) think of every possible think you can come up with that applies to each belief as far back as you can remember and 2.) Really feel the feeling the entire time while you are blasting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.