Have been / had been / was

Forums Questions on PSTEC Packages Belief Blasters Have been / had been / was

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tomas Zobal
    PSTEC User

Tim uses “have been” in his BB tutorial examples. A lot of suggestions here on the forums use “had been”. Does it matter which one is being used?

Also, a lot of my beliefs I'd like to eliminate are actually future projections. “I will never have/do/be…”. Turning them into “I was never… ” or “I never had/did…” doesn't really make really sense or sound authentic to me, but it's been recommended to turn them into “I could never have/do/be…”. Is that enough though? Shouldn't they become “I could never have been/have done…”?

Tim says that the entire belief has to be in the past tense. “Everyone thinks I'm a failure” turns into “Everyone thought I was a failure”. But then he says “I can't be a doctor” turns into “I couldn't be a doctor”. Shouldn't that be “I couldn't have been a doctor”?

Thank you for any advice.

Paul McCabe
      PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for posting.

With regards to Belief Blasters and the instruction to put the belief phrase into the past tense, any version of the past tense will suffice.

Whether it is “had to”, “have to”, “was” or otherwise, it will still work.  As long as you personally recognise a sentence as being in the past tense, that will do.

You do not need to be grammatically or word perfect either. In lots of regions of the UK, we use incorrect grammar and colloquialisms when speaking. Someone told me recently that “I were in the army…” It is just a regional dialect. I knew that he “was” in the army, but that is just how he speaks.

Keep it natural for you.

Expectation-style beliefs, such as “I will never get what I want”, do lend themselves more naturally to PSTEC Negative – from a linguistic point of view. You may wish to run those through PSTEC Negative.

They will still work with Belief Blasters (“I would never have gotten what I wanted”), so you have a choice how you wish to proceed.

The expectation-style beliefs are built from existing beliefs. If someone had a belief like “I will never be happy”, that is probably linked to beliefs like “life is unfair”, “I'm an unhappy person”, “I'm doomed” etc.

Look for the “why” that feeds into each of the expectation beliefs and you will find so many core beliefs.

“I couldn't be a doctor” could be understood as past tense, and this would depend on the context and how you construe the sentence. “I couldn't have been a doctor” is universally accepted as being in the past tense, but both of these could work with Belief Blasters.

I hope that helps, Tomas.

Best Regards,

Paul  :)

Paul McCabe – PSTEC Master Practitioner

http://www.lifestyleforchange.com

Please contact me anytime if you want any assistance in utilising PSTEC to help you live a life of tremendous freedom & possibility.

Recreate yourself with PSTEC.

Skype, Zoom, in-person & phone sessions available…

Tomas Zobal
        PSTEC User

Hi Paul

Thank you for your answer. Great clarification as always.

Basically, if the statement FEELS to me like it is in the past, it doesn't matter so much what tense (grammatically speaking) I use.

Expectation-style beliefs, such as “I will never get what I want”, do lend themselves more naturally to PSTEC Negative – from a linguistic point of view. You may wish to run those through PSTEC Negative.

They will still work with Belief Blasters (“I would never have gotten what I wanted”), so you have a choice how you wish to proceed.

The expectation-style beliefs are built from existing beliefs. If someone had a belief like “I will never be happy”, that is probably linked to beliefs like “life is unfair”, “I'm an unhappy person”, “I'm doomed” etc.

Look for the “why” that feeds into each of the expectation beliefs and you will find so many core beliefs.

“I would never have gotten what I wanted” doesn't sound very authentic to me. It's kind of cumbersome, I can't really connect to it. I much prefer the approach of finding the “why” feeding into each expectation belief.

Thank you again for always being so helpful.

Paul McCabe
          PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi Tomas,

It's always a pleasure, so you're very welcome.

Yes, you've got it spot on.

I think you'll be surprised at what beliefs you discover when you hunt for them.

A quick way to tap into this is to ask “what would I have to believe about myself, life, the world etc. to believe…I'll never be/do/have…?”

Just ask that for each expectation-style belief.

Best Regards,

Paul

Paul McCabe – PSTEC Master Practitioner

http://www.lifestyleforchange.com

Please contact me anytime if you want any assistance in utilising PSTEC to help you live a life of tremendous freedom & possibility.

Recreate yourself with PSTEC.

Skype, Zoom, in-person & phone sessions available…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.