How hard should I hold onto the anxiety?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    LK
    PSTEC User

Hi all, registered mostly to ask this :)

I've been using pstec (mostly eefs and accelerators) for about 2 months for social anxiety stuff, mostly centered around going out & meeting women, but also for other areas like work situations and imagining myself perform (dance, sing) in front of crowds, etc. I think its working well and I've gotten a lot of benefit from it.

Now, I'm a bit unsure as to which of these 2 strategies I should take with the eef tracks:

1) Remember an event, or imagine one, with anxious feelings and the run the click track while holding onto both of these “loosely”.. like meditating while looking at a candle flame, I'm not really straining my eyes very hard, but I'm still holding my gaze there in a relaxed manner.

OR

2) Really imagine myself there living the (imagined) event and focus hard on the anxious, constricting feelings and try to feel then as fully as I can. For example in a night club, I'd imagine myself walking around and then as those feelings become less intense, I'd vividly imagine myself doing something more& more challenging, progressing to stuff like dancing on a podium in front of the whole crowd, looking at people in the eyes while actively trying to raise their energy levels on the dance floor, or joking with groups of girls from a distance so that everyone can clearly hear me, being the center of attention in daytime settings, etc. Another way I did this was I repeated “I'm always completely relaxed & enjoy being the center of attention” at times to myself while running the click tracks & imagined myself TRYING to act like that in situations and feeling the anxiety that came with it.

I'd instinctively think number 2 is better, because I'm trying to deal with the most intense feelings and that should make anything less intense much easier to deal with in real life… however, working like this takes forever as my mind just keeps coming up with more & more difficult situations. I actually ran 21 eef tracks in one day (in 3 sittings) doing this, and on all runs the intensity was somewhere between a 7 and a 10. I did get huge releases from it and my eyes were wet at the sides for most of the time, but it was pretty draining. Last time ended when I found myself imagining something so ridiculous that I burst out laughing and the time before that I drifted to thinking about my relations to certain people and finally burst out crying. I feel like I can hold onto the emotions pretty tight when I really try to, so they don't release that easily.

I guess there's a middle ground for this, but I am unsure what that would be..? Maybe limit my imagination to one specific place and time, e.g. the dance floor of a club or me doing karaoke?

Jeff Harding
      PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi LK… when you do emotional work using any of the following:
        Click Tracks (CT)
        EEF's (extra strong Click Tracks)
        ATT (Accelerator Tapping Tracks)

… listen carefully and literally to Tim's instructions.  He says…

TRY HARD… TRY AS HARD AS YOU CAN to feel the feeling.

Notes:
        *It's not important to feel the feeling… don't worry if you can't feel the feeling.  Many people do and that's fine too.  But, if you don't feel it, not a problem!
        *It's only important that you TRY HARD to feel the feeling.  It's a big difference from actually feeling it and it also takes more concentration and focus.  These tracks do take mental work… you must be WILLING to do that work and not just “meditate” or zone/zen out… it does not work without the effort… without TRYING HARD to feel the feeling.
        *TRY HARD applies to the feeling.  You don't have to try hard to focus on the memory/imagined event, but just keep it in your imagination.
        *One more note that comes up… you don't have to visualize your memory/imagined event… just imagine it in the way that comes to you.  Bit difference between visualization and imagination.

So, again, #2 is closer to the instructions but without this…

***IMPORTANT***
        “Another way I did this was I repeated “I'm always completely relaxed & enjoy being the center of attention”
        DO NOT repeat sentences while doing emotional clearing work with PSTEC!

“working like this takes forever as my mind just keeps coming up with more & more difficult situations. I actually ran 21 eef tracks in one day (in 3 sittings) doing this, and on all runs the intensity was somewhere between a 7 and a 10.”

I can't comment too specifically  on this because I don't know the specifics and, it would probably be best, if a problem persists, to chat with a practitioner.  but, with that said…

*If you get the results you desire, that's cool.
        *Perhaps there is a more efficient way to target the issue, but, again, without intense details and conversation, it's difficult to assess.
        *Be sure not to approach an issue with desperation.  Maybe you aren't but if someone does that many consecutive tracks, sometimes that is the case.  Be careful not to bring that desperation into your sessions.

“I feel like I can hold onto the emotions pretty tight when I really try to, so they don't release that easily.”
        Lastly … that's good that you can TRY HARD… that's key!!

Ah, but see the limiting belief?

“they don't release that easily”

You could prep your session with a little PSTEC Positive, such as:

“I want to gently release my emotions to enjoy my life and to do so completely”

Also, you can use PSTEC Negative on a belief that says…

“It is my belief that I don't release emotions easily”

And, then follow up with the previous PP Sentence I mentioned.

Aloha!
        Jeff

LK
        PSTEC User

Ok, thank you! I'll read that a few times and I should be good.

“*TRY HARD applies to the feeling.  You don't have to try hard to focus on the memory/imagined event, but just keep it in your imagination.”

Ok.. I think for memories I've done it correctly, but I'm assuming I went overboard with the imagined events. I'd imagine an event and focus on the feeling, but then when the feeling started to fade, I'd continue to imagine either the same event with a twist that makes it bring up more of that feeling or a imagine some other event (e.g. in another area of the same night club) to amplify the feeling. That was both my way of TRYING HARD to keep feeling the feeling, and also to try and with the biggest thing I can and clear that. I'm guessing the right for this sort of imaginary clearing is to imagine the event like it was a memory and then not go changing it until its cleared to 1 or 0, correct?

Is this what you mean with visualization vs. imagination – that visualization is a more active process of digging into the memory and the listing the specifics of it, while imagination is just kind of letting the memory be there a bit vaguely somehow (while putting the mental efforts in trying to feel the feeling).

“*Be sure not to approach an issue with desperation.”
          You are right about the desperation comment on that one time I did all those tracks. I normally do 2-5 tracks in a day and have gotten releases to 1 or 0 with just 2 tracks, and overall I feel excited about the process.

“Ah, but see the limiting belief? “they don't release that easily””
          Yes, ok. I'll be sure to try those PN & PP sentences next time.

Jeff Harding
          PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi LK…

[color=rgb(68, 68, 68)]I'm assuming I went overboard with the imagined events. I'd imagine an event and focus on the feeling, but then when the feeling started to fade, I'd continue to imagine either the same event with a twist that makes it bring up more of that feeling or a imagine some other event (e.g. in another area of the same night club) to amplify the feeling. That was both my way of TRYING HARD to keep feeling the feeling, and also to try and with the biggest thing I can and clear that. I'm guessing the right for this sort of imaginary clearing is to imagine the event like it was a memory and then not go changing it until its cleared to 1 or 0, correct?[/color]

It depends … you could be doing well on this if you are not “getting in the way.”
            For example, if you focus on memory A to start and TRY HARD to feel fearful while running the CT and during the CT, memory B is “served up naturally” by the subconscious without your conscious effort, you could shift to focus on Memory B and continue TRYING HARD to feel fearful or you could “finish up” on Memory A… up to you.  Either way, when you are done, note the new memory B that came up and reassess whatever you chose to focus on.  Continue the CT if necessary to get either one down to 0-1 and reassess the other.

Make sense?

In contrast, if you are consciously trying hard to add more memories during a CT run; don't try THAT so hard.  Let it come to you… let the subconscious do that work for you.

[color=rgb(68, 68, 68)]visualization vs. imagination[/color]
            Visualization is getting a somewhat or very clear image in your mind… a picture or video if you will.  Imagining, say, an event, is just like “pretending” you are there or that you are doing that activity.

EVERYONE can imagine.  When someone says they are afraid and you ask, “Afraid of what?”  And, they say, afraid when I think about speaking in front of all those people… there's the imagination!

Malama Pono!
            Jeff

LK
            PSTEC User

Ok thank you, that's very helpful. I'll make an adjustment to focus less on the images, sounds and other specifics of the memory and more on trying to hold on to the feeling.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.