Memory reconsolidation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RG0807
    PSTEC User

Have you guys heard about the memory reconsolidation research?  Does PSTEC involved intefering with reconsolidation?

Jeff Harding
      PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Aloha RG … What is the context or your purpose of the question about memory reconsolidation and PSTEC?  In other words, when it comes to memories are you considering positive or negative memories … are you concerned about the ability to change memories or interfering with the change of particular memories?

Without knowing your context …

Our perception of memories is based upon our mind model (how we perceive the world) at that moment when the memory occurred and, in most cases, we are “reliving” that memory as if it still happens in the present or has the potential of happening in the same manner in the future.

For example…

I witnessed this a couple weeks ago in a pool in Hawaii here… a guest of the island was in the pool but had a strong fear of water … the fear of drowning.  We chatted briefly about it and the fear was present since he was about 8-9 years old.  Prior to 8-9, we would swim with impunity… loved it.  But, one day, at that age, his brothers played a prank and he felt he had almost drowned.  Ever since, he could not even get in any level of water until a few years ago (now about age 50), but even then his heart races and he can only go in under very strict conditions.  Here is one interesting aspect.  I asked this 6 foot 2 inch able bodied fellow if he realized this particular pool only went as deep as 4 feet and at any time he could merely stand up and his head would easily be 2 feet or more above water and he would be safe.  He looked stunned as if the thought never crossed his mind… why?  Because when it came to bodies of water, his mind (and body) reacted as if he were much smaller and much less able … as if his abilities were an immature 8-9 years old.

What keeps that mind model in place?  Emotions and beliefs.

In most cases, these types of water phobias are quite “simple” and quick to transcend.  Most times, merely addressing the emotional aspects as listed below will clear this issue.  But, to be more thorough, addressing the beliefs as outlined below will increase the speed and likelihood of success!

So, in short, PSTEC is not about deleting memories but shifting the current perception of that past event.  That is done by shifting emotional responses (through the use of the Free Basic Click Tracks, the EEF's and/or the Accelerator Tapping Tracks) and also beliefs about that particular memory or those like it (through the use of PSTEC Positive, PSTEC Positive Extra Power and also, again, the Accelerator Tapping Tracks because they work for emotions, beliefs and behaviors).

Mahalo for the question!

Jeff

RG0807
        PSTEC User

I'm referring specifically to the psychological phenomena referred to as 'memory reconsolidation'.  The idea is that the synapses that encode certain memories become labile again for a period of time after a memory is activated.  In order to be maintained they need to be reconsolidated.  Certain types of memories need to be reconsolidated every time they are recalled.  It is as if the brain is providing an opportunity for the correction of a memory every time it is recalled.  Since PSTEC makes an emphatic point to activate the emotion (which is a memory) it seems it is providing an opportunity to interfere with the reconsolidation of the memory.  I was just curious if the process was created with this in mind to try to intentionally interfere with the reconsolidation of the memory.

Jeff Harding
          PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

I am glad you brought up this question to help illustrate a misnomer when it comes to using PSTEC.

“Since PSTEC makes an emphatic point to activate the emotion (which is a memory) it seems it is providing an opportunity to interfere with the reconsolidation of the memory. “

One of the fallacies is that you must feel the feeling.  That is NOT true although, quite often, people do feel the feeling when recalling the memory especially when it's a very intense level of emotion.  Tim's instructions are to TRY HARD to feel the feeling.

Again, it's not important to feel the feeling, but important to TRY HARD TO FEEL THE FEELING. It seems a subtle difference, but has enormous impact.

The emotion or feeling is not actually the memory because once the emotion is neutralized, the memory will remain, but could be shifted in terms of perception of that memory and that can result in a more peaceful perception, thereby making the memory less than or not a contributor at all to the negative reactions in life.

So, to emphasize, we are not erasing memories, just the shifting the perception of them.  In fact, quite often, as I review a client's perception after running the Click Track on a memory, the client can “see” that memory differently and sometimes even see some positive aspects of it they were not seeing previously.

“I was just curious if the process was created with this in mind to try to intentionally interfere with the reconsolidation of the memory.”

Is it interfering with the reconsolidation of the memory as some people have labeled it?  I imagine that depends upon how you define it, but, many times, it's not necessary to recall the memory so you could say it's not an intentional parallel.

PSTEC was created to aid people in shifting their mind model to give them relief, peace and freedom of mind for success in whatever area they desire.  The label or “how it's done” is not as important as whether or not it works… it's all about results.

Aloha!
            Jeff

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.