Overcompensation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Truman
    PSTEC User

this problem had been significately reduced by working with pstec but there is still some of it.

i feel as if i have to be more than i already am to not get rejected or to be liked by others.

this leads me to self sabotage a lot of my relationships pursuing being liked or not rejected.

Paul McCabe
      PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi Truman,

Thanks for posting.

What you have described might be related to specific contexts, or just a general sense “not enough as I am.”

Please elaborate on when the fear of rejection or not being liked shows up for you.

There are different ways to completely resolve this. You can CT the contexts where this shows up. Just directly CT the feeling of not being enough and that you need to overcompensate. Get this down to a 0 or 1. Imagine the rejection you are seeking to avoid. Meet it head-on and CT it away.

Then, you might want to venture down the belief route.

The core beliefs like “I was not important” or “I was not good enough” really would need to be eliminated first. If anyone holds those beliefs, they then have to do certain things and act in certain ways to compensate for what they lack.

In what ways do you overcompensate?

It may be a combination of things,

For some people, they don't feel good enough unless they impress people. A belief to blast there might be:

“Impressing people made me good enough” or “getting the approval of others made me good enough”

For others, it is achievement:

“Achieving things made me good enough”

For other people, it is about knowledge or intelligence:

“Being intelligent made me good enough”

For others, it is about physical appearance.

For others, it is a certain career, role or having a certain amount of money.

The common thread is “being thought well of by others” and, in this age of social media, so many people have gone to tremendous lengths to achieve this. In some cases, this makes the desired outcome either fleeting or less likely (e.g. it being viewed as inauthentic). It may even feel like self-sabotage, but is usually well-intentioned.

When you go down this rabbit hole and eliminate the “need to be liked”, or the “need to get lots of attention”, it creates so much freedom and possibility.

If we make our sense of self contingent on praise, attention, approval, money, achievement, physical appearance etc., then we put everything outside of ourselves. It means we either are or are not based on external factors. That is not a model that tends to lead to a sense of ongoing fulfilment.

There is nothing wrong with desiring being liked or getting attention, of course, but it is a different game when these are preferences rather than compulsions. In other words, even if someone didn't like you, you know you are already good enough and can deal with anyone's reaction in its corect context.

Thanks again for posting and I look forward to your reply.

Paul  :)

Paul McCabe – PSTEC Master Practitioner

http://www.lifestyleforchange.com

Please contact me anytime if you want any assistance in utilising PSTEC to help you live a life of tremendous freedom & possibility.

Recreate yourself with PSTEC.

Skype, Zoom, in-person & phone sessions available…

Truman
        PSTEC User

hey paul. thank you for answering.

to be more precise i overcompensate a lot around people whom i want something from them (i.e. sex or dates from women) or i percieve as higher status than me (i.e. hot women or men whom i percieve to be better than i am).

when i percieve people as lower or equal status than me i don't have the triggers that makes me want to be more than i am for others.

i end up over thinking and investing a lot for women, which makes them don't answer me or avoid me when they used to show interest. and i end up feeling resentment towards them for showing interest and then taking it back.

the only way to get what i want from women is by being very manipulative in the way that i invest with them. i think carefully how much investment i will give to them so they don't dissappear as they always do. this leads me to some success, but when i decide to drop the mask and i invest the way i would really do, they dissappear.

women banishing only reinforces my defense mechanism that makes me avoid and consciously invest really low in them to get them around me.

Brian Tucker
          PSTEC User

hey paul. thank you for answering.

to be more precise i overcompensate a lot around people whom i want something from them (i.e. sex or dates from women) or i percieve as higher status than me (i.e. hot women or men whom i percieve to be better than i am).

CT the feelings of being inferior to others. you are inferior and others are superior to you. Be sure to get angry at it, angry at worrying about and angry at sick and tired of dealing with it/dealing this way about it.

You can also BB “I am inferior” “I am an inferior person” “Other people are superior” – Also explore feelings of being inadequate, incompetent and you fear that you won't meet/will fail to the expectations of others

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.