Panic Attack when Trading

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    marc mayerson
    PSTEC User

Hello,

I've started futures trading recently and have come upon an issue.  Whenever I'm about to take a trade, or see a set-up, my heart starts to race and I get panicky.  And once I enter a trade, if it starts going my way I get even moreso, and I have to get out of the trade way too soon. I know a lot of traders experience anxiety and fear, but this is like a full blown panic attack.

The problem is 1) I can't think of any issues this would be coming from (I don't get these attacks in other situations) and 2) when I try to bring up the emotion when using the click tracks or any other modality, like EFT, it's barely there. Even when I was practicing on a demo (fake) account I felt fine.  It only comes up when I'm trading. So far the basic click tracks, EFT, visualization haven't made a dent.

Any suggestions for which click tracks or product might work best, and how to handle this? I was thinking maybe peak performance and try to create a new anchor?  I'm afraid if I keep trading like this I'm going to anchor panic with trading permanently.

Outside of this I'm pretty good, no major anxiety issues, etc. I did used have some shyness when I was younger but nothing like this. And my trading account is big enough, I'm risking less than 1% per trade, so it's not that either.  Although I am starting to develop some anger from not being able to trade :)

Thanks in advance.
      Marc

Peter Bunyan
      PSTEC User

Hi mockyboy

Anxiety most likely caused by fears leading to stress which unrelieved has a reaction we call anxiety.

Whatever the reason I suggest working with the Click Tracks first. Click Track some recent memories of trades where you felt the anxiety. Do not worry if you cannot bring up the feeling just try and recall the actual event in as much detail as possible in your mind. Do remember to do the 0-10 thing before and after. Next imagine the worst possible outcome of say a long string of bad trades. Imagine that possible future again in as much detail as possible and run the Click Track with this visualization. Imagine the anxiety/panic occurring in these scenarios again even if you cannot recreate it.

Don't know if it is  doable for you but get away from the screens and walk around preferable outside as often as possible. The risks may not be large but the stress accumulates to reach a breaking point. Also Click Track that anger about not being able to trade.

With trading it is not just the financial gain or loss but your reputation, what others think about you that is on the line. Others might think more or less of you as a person for your trading history. That is it might be your self esteem/self worth that is at stake.

Let us know how you get on, with a progress report soon.
        If you have any more questions, please get back to us.
        Peter

marc mayerson
        PSTEC User

OK, Thank you, I'll keep using the free click tracks.

I listened to the audio on panic attacks, and I'll follow the instructions to focus on memories of trading, and listen once or twice a day.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.