Physical discomfort doing the tapping

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    teelions
    PSTEC User

I  am finding that my tapping sessions to be very stressful and nerve wracking. As I am trying to keep a memory present in mind during the tapping I find that my body writhes and tightens in trying to keep up with the tapping sequences. Just recently I did tap a memory from a 7 to a 3 but felt extremely uncomfortable in my body while doing so. This memory was not a huge event but it does still reside in memory and is related to similar more intense events.  I wanted to start with that before going to the others because it was so much more insignificant than the others. But now I am a bit apprehensive about going further or taking that 3 to a zero because of the intensity of concentration I must keep to tap and keep the memory in mind.  How do I lessen the discomfort so that I can continue to “knock down my forest”?

Peter Bunyan
      PSTEC User

Hi teelions
        In order for us to help, would you mind answering a couple of questions?
        If you just brought the memories to mind, without any thought of tapping or trying to do anything about it, would you still “writhe and tighten”?
        If you can imagine yourself tapping away some other issue not related to these events would you be finding the concentration stressful?
        Peter

teelions
        PSTEC User

Hello Peter,

What I now suspect the problem was is that that memory was so vague that I was causing my own stress in trying to remember its details. In that story, I actually do not remember the name or the face of the person was I was conversing with or what was actually said. It occurred over 40 years ago. All I remember is that it happened and it's occurrence affected me in a negative way. So at this point I could leave it at the 3 or use EFT to zero it out if I want. I have since used the tracks a few times since then with no problems.

So let me ask this: During tapping, as I can concentrate less and less on the memory due to the multitasking of tapping and listening, should I just let it fade out of view or try to hold on the the memory as hard as I might try to the end of the session?

Peter Bunyan
          PSTEC User

teelions
            CTs are are designed to separate the emotions from the memories. The memories stay since they actually happened, it is how you feel about them that changes. You are breaking the association between the two. You do not need to remember every detail of a memory, your sub-conscious does that for you.
            Try to remember a past experience and it's negative emotion and give that experience a name, that is the first few words (or less) that come into your mind, do not try to make them descriptive, any old words that pop into your head. What you have made is a short-cut to the memory, or a symbol which stands for that experience. Now CT just that short-cut name with it's negative feeling and focus on the feeling and not trying to remember the incident.
            This process might help you CT away painful past experiences in a less stressful way.
            Before CTing think… you are not trying to remove part of your past, you are asking your sub-conscious to let go of the negative feelings attached to the memory as they now no longer are helpful and it is more beneficial to release them. This in order to make you a better you.
            This pre-CT thinking will make you less apprehensive, you are gaining benefits not losing anything.
            Peter

teelions
            PSTEC User

That's great advice. Thank you!

Peter Bunyan
              PSTEC User

teelions
                My Error -This

CT away painful past experiences

should read ” CT the pain away from the past experiences.
                Apologies
                Peter

Peter Bunyan
                PSTEC User

teelion
                  Just trying to help!
                  You are not trying to “knock down a forest” just re-landscaping to get a more pleasing view.
                  Peter

teelions
                  PSTEC User

The  “knock down a forest” term comes from what one does when following the EFT  Personal Peace Procedure; one tree at at time.

Peter Bunyan
                    PSTEC User

teelions
                      Your sub-conscious does not like change and giving up things. To that end I have been trying to put the change process in less confrontational terms. It seemed possible that  from your original post your change process was being resisited in the form of apprehension and tension. By looking at change as beneficial acceptance rather than any form of loss, fight or struggle, you might find it easier to to use either PSTEC or EFT.
                      EFTs PPP would be rather like non-specific re-patterning in PSTEC terms.
                      Peter

teelions
                      PSTEC User

Thanks for all the great insight, Peter. Though, I don't know what you mean by “non-specific re-patterning.” I just started using PSTec last week. I do want to learn all I can though especially in putting together a personal plan or stradegy for my issues and goals. How would I go about that?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.