PSTEC WITH AN INTRUSIVE THOUGHT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Green69
    PSTEC User

I've never actually had OCD but a couple of months ago I had a 'dream' and ever since I have been having intrusive thoughts – this is causing a lot of anxiety as I am not even sure whether I was asleep or awake (a waking dream??) and this is making it much harder to process this event.  If I could be certain that I was asleep then I could put it down to a nightmare and I'm sure the thoughts would have just dissipated. My concern is that if I was in fact awake, then this would be a much more worrying episode and this confusion is causing a lot of anxiety which in turn is perpetuating the thoughts (sometimes intrusive, sometimes just from obsessing about the event).  Sorry, but this is the best way I can explain it – more importantly, I would like to know how I could use Pstec to help rid me of these intrusive thoughts. I have read a little about Pstec but have never used it and wonder how it could help in a situation like this.  My biggest worry is focusing on the thoughts that I'm trying to get rid of whilst in a hypnotic state – sorry for my ignorance but to reiterate, focusing on negative thoughts would seem like a hypnotist giving you negative suggestion whilst in an altered state and that's the last thing I need!. Do any professionals using Pstec have any experience in this area, and more specifically would you have any guidelines, suggestions, do's or don'ts, for this particualr problem – or in your honest opinions is this not within the scope of Pstec? Any feedback would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Peter Bunyan
      PSTEC User

Hi Green69
        Although not having dealt with a problem like yours, I can make the following observations:

Your dream is to your sub-conscious a real event, any feelings in your dream are real feelings. From this point of view I do not see why PSTEC should not be able to help you.

My biggest worry is focusing on the thoughts that I'm trying to get rid of whilst in a hypnotic state – sorry for my ignorance but to reiterate, focusing on negative thoughts would seem like a hypnotist giving you negative suggestion whilst in an altered state and that's the last thing I need!.

Try as hard as you can to focus on negative thoughts while listening to the Click Tracks, it is extremely difficult to do. That is their purpose, to shred negative emotions and thereby separate them from events real or imagined. They are in no way reinforced.
        Hopefully Jeff will be able to guide you some more.
        Peter

Jeff Harding
        PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi Greenie,

The free Basic Click Tracks are almost always the best place to start… to neutralize the unpleasant emotions.  When those are neutralized or significantly lowered, then clarity will come to you a bit easier.

If the thoughts began after this nightmare… whether awake or asleep … that might be a great place to start.

When you run the CT's, remember, if you can focus on two things (in addition to tapping along with the clicks and tones), then you will make the CT session much smoother.  Those two things are 1. a memory or imagined event … and … 2. An emotion or feeling.

So, take the dream as your memory/imagined event and focus on that during the CT audio and at the same time, try as hard as you can to feel the emotion that comes with it… you mentioned anxiety.

Be sure to rate it 0-10 first… run the CT once and see how the emotion feels.

Other memories may come up… write them down … and you may have to CT those as well.

As far as “thoughts” you are having, you did not elaborate, so I will not address those specifically.  They may dissipate with the CT of the dream or they may have to be addressed separately with PSTEC Positive … or … all of this is something deeper and from earlier in your life and will have to be addressed with the appropriate PSTEC tools.

One caution… if those “thoughts” are of the nature like: “I am _________”; do not address those types of thoughts with the Click Tracks.  Those are most likely beliefs and PSTEC Positive is the appropriate tool for beliefs and behaviors.  In fact, NEVER try to clear beliefs or behaviors with the Click Tracks … only emotions.  And, DO NOT focus on “statements” like “I am __________” while using the CT's.

So, begin with the CT of the dream and the emotion(s) that come with it and see what happens with those emotions and what else comes up.

Aloha!

Jeff

Green69
          PSTEC User

Thank you both for the advice – it makes sense but I am still apprehensive about it and perhaps I should try it with something else first.

Jeff Harding
            PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

You're always welcome.

Whether you work on something, of course, is up to you.

Here are a couple thoughts and suggestions…

• Keep in mind that quite often, when we approach something that is very pivotal in terms of our Mind Model and we approach it with the intention to shift perceptions or make changes, the subconscious does various “tactics” to prevent change.  Some of those tactics are forgetfulness, raising fear or anxiety or other emotions we don't want to approach, it can also keep us occupied with other thoughts and actions to avoid getting to the issue.  So, keep in mind that the apprehension may be avoidance or resistance at some level.

With that said… you can do a couple approaches to “loosen” things up…

• First of all, if the apprehension is not too high,just use your Conscious Will to forge ahead and run the CT anyway.  Just “step over the line” so to speak and give it a CT run and see what happens.
                • Try this one … imagine running the CT on this issue.  Don't actually focus on the issue, but imagine that you are sitting there running the CT on the issue.  While you run the CT on the imagined, future event of running the CT, try real hard to feel the apprehension until that apprehension is either 0-1 or is low enough where you feel comfortable to run the CT on the actual issue.

So, it's akin to doing a little “pre-CT” work on the issue.

• [/list]

• [/list]Make sense?
                Aloha!
                Jeff

Marguerite
              PSTEC User

Hi Green69,
                Just a couple of additional thoughts after some great viewpoints. In response to :”My biggest worry is focusing on the thoughts that I'm trying to get rid of whilst in a hypnotic state” – You are not in a hypnotic state. You are very, very focused when using the click tracks. Also, I found that the more intense the feeling, the quicker it went away. The click tracks are like interupting “Pavlov's Dog” or using “Control-Alt-Delete” on a computer loop. So you are not reinforcing negative thoughts, you are interupting them and therefore stopping them. Hope this helps. Good luck and Good Clicking

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.