What’s The Result Of This Belief Change?

Forums General Discussions and Specific Issues Miscellaneous and Other Topics What’s The Result Of This Belief Change?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Scott Lambert
    PSTEC User

I have changed many beliefs with the various PSTEC ClickTracks with success. My current favorite for getting rid of negative beliefs is the Belief Blaster.

I have been in sales for many years and when it comes to contracts, appointments, sales etc, many people tend not to do what they say they will do. And in my experience, no communication is supposed to indicate no longer interested.

This is very annoying, time wasting and I'm told I invest too much emotionally into what people say. Even to the point where family is coming over for a meal and they show up an hour late, it infuriates me because it seems so inconsiderate.

My question is: When this belief “people should do what they say they are going to do” is erased, what am I left with?

Will I be more accepting of flaky people? Will I take on the characteristic that currently annoys me?

M
      PSTEC User

Scott,

I'm not in sales, but I also have a strong reaction to people being late, “flaking”, so much so that I have just stopped agreeing to situations where I will meet someone at a certain time.  It feels like a burning personal insult to be kept waiting — even though I am sometimes late myself.  In working through my anger in general…I am hoping this reactivity will go away also.

Please keep us posted on how you are working through this feeling and please share your progress with us!  I'm very interested to see what happens.

Brian Tucker
        PSTEC User

Scott,

I'm not in sales, but I also have a strong reaction to people being late, “flaking”, so much so that I have just stopped agreeing to situations where I will meet someone at a certain time.  It feels like a burning personal insult to be kept waiting — even though I am sometimes late myself.  In working through my anger in general…I am hoping this reactivity will go away also.

Please keep us posted on how you are working through this feeling and please share your progress with us!  I'm very interested to see what happens.

Imagine this scenario as extreme as it can be with a brand new prospect. CT it down to a 1 or 0.

On a side note, “lateness” can be a sign for unresolved anger. Again imagine yourself being really late with a new client. CT everything that comes with it.

Scott Lambert
          PSTEC User

Brian are you saying keep the belief and just take the emotional steam out of it by clicktracking?

Paul McCabe
            PSTEC Pro and Forum Moderator

Hi Scott,

Thanks for posting.

If something bothers us on an emotional level, it is generally because they attribute meaning to the event. People being late or not honouring promises would only affect someone if they rate those things as important.

It is because you care about people so much and are keen to impress that this sort of behaviour bothers you.

To answer your question, when you clear the beliefs that feed into your Mind Model, it will enable you to create more possibilities. Thus, if you clear enough beliefs and emotions, you will not necessarily see someone failing to call you back as inherently “flaky.” That is the meaning you attributed to the behaviour.

You might retain your own standards, but be less inclined to assume anything about anyone based on their behaviour. You will also be more relaxed in yourself while choosing those standards. Does that make sense?

I can totally relate to what you presented here, as I used to feel annoyed if someone was late for a meeting we had or if I had done a favour for someone and did not get a “thank you.” Thus, I do know this can be dissolved.

When you evoke words like “annoyed” and “infuriated”, I would suggest that using would prove very effective here. The emotions are clearly strong in these situations.

You are a pro, so you know the drill. Make a note of all the times these scenarios have cropped up, bring up the annoyance, anger and hurt and neutralise them. It may take a few playthroughs, but you will get there, as long as you realise that being free of the reactions is very liberating.

You may even benefit from going into your past. Did you have any experiences in your childhood, for instance, where your parents or caregivers broke promises they had made? What about in your personal life?

Throw these into the mix and clear it all.

From the “belief perspective”, I find that it can be useful to step back from the pattern (as it were) and ask:

“What would someone have to believe about themselves, that situation etc. to feel (emotion) when (situation occurs)?”

Eliminating “people should do what they say they are going to do” will, I would suggest, simply help you soften the rules you have around other people's behaviour. The truth is – often times, people don't.

A rule like that could be problematic, as you are making your happiness contingent on other people meeting conditions you (and sometimes even they) cannot control. There are many reasons why people may be late or break a promise and it is certainly not due to an inherent lack of discipline, respect or care.

So, stepping back from that:

“What would someone have to believe about themselves or that situation to be annoyed when people don't do what they say will do?”

From working with people who have had this pattern, typical beliefs propping this up include:

“People can't be trusted.”

“People don't respect me.” (Go further with this and ask “why?” to see if any core beliefs come up)

“Life is not fair.”

“It is bad to break promises.”

“I'm not important.”

“I'm not deserving.”

See if any of these resonate with you and “blast” them away.

Also, as M has mentioned, consider some counterexamples. THIS counterexample might help:

“Have I ever been late for an appointment or broken a promise when it had nothing to do with how much I respected the person/event?”

Hope this helps. Please let me know.

Paul  :)

Paul McCabe – PSTEC Master Practitioner

http://www.lifestyleforchange.com

Please contact me anytime if you want any assistance in utilising PSTEC to help you live a life of tremendous freedom & possibility.

Recreate yourself with PSTEC.

Skype, Zoom, in-person & phone sessions available…

Brian Tucker
              PSTEC User

Brian are you saying keep the belief and just take the emotional steam out of it by clicktracking?

Do both. Also give “being late has been bad”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.